MBD....cause and effects

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
I started this tread because of a discussion in another thread that veered off course.

I know MBD has several root causes but I'm not real sure of all the causes and the overall effects.

Can it be reversed and if so, at what stage is it reversible?

What are the early symptoms and effects? Is pyramiding a symptom or a cause? Does all pyramiding lead to MBD or does all cases of MBD have pyramiding?

Well? what's up?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I have more questions than anything.

I do have two Redfoots who are slightly pyramided. If I had the correct instruction on housing them before I found this forum, it might not be. Tom's threads as well as his, and others, gentle insistence throughout this forum on closed chambers have had their effect. So at 2.5 years of age, they are finally getting proper humidity inside a closed chamber. And they are soon to be FL residents, anyway.
But alas, too late to prevent their already bumpy shells. I know they can go on to have perfectly happy lives. But I do often wonder what their skeletal system looks like. And when I see pictures of severe shell deformities, I really really wonder what is going on under that shell.
I am sure there are folks here, who have seen the insides of a cadaver tortoise with mbd. Or even Xrays of the living.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: MBD....cause and effects

jaizei said:

THANK YOU! Don't have time to read right now but will after work.

Oyy, my husband and my housework have lost me to tortoise land....
My mother used to take my books away from me as a child as I got no chores done. I fear all my tablets and phones will disappear on me soon! :p
And I am realky behind at work now! Lol

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
AnnV said:
Oyy, my husband and my housework have lost me to tortoise land....
My mother used to take my books away from me as a child as I got no chores done. I fear all my tablets and phones will disappear on me soon! :p
And I am realky behind at work now! Lol

Yah, That's a common issue here! When I first found this site, my wife thought I might be losing my mind because all I talked about was Tortoises and TFO! If I didn't check in with TFO at least 3 times a day, I felt lost. :p

jaizei said:

Looks like this topic has been covered in the past....5 years ago. I know we had a similar discussion a couple of years past but it seems as if we have newer members with the same old, outdated thoughts and understandings of MBD. New blood and new info surly has to be out there!:D