MBD lifespan

SamAnn

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Maryland
I read in multiple places about tortoises with previous severe MBD (which Bowser most certainly has) only living 5-10 years after being rescued because their internal organs continue to grow but their shells do not allow the growth, therefore putting stress on the lungs and heart. Has anyone heard this?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would think shell growth would resume in a normal fashion and shell volume/body size would be positively impacted. In other words, no.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are far too many variables to make any sort of prediction. It can go either way, or any which way in between.

All a person can do is give good care and hope for the best.

SamAnn

Southern Maryland
Thank you! That gives me hope. He is loving life right now so we will just keep on truckin with the current plan!

Kori5

First I would like to say you are a great person for taking a sick animal. I'm sure everything will be ok. Just give him the best care you can and give him time, day by day. No one can tell you how long he'll live, even people with healthy animals don't know the answer to that question. Try not to think about it and enjoy your new life. I'm sure he is :).

SamAnn

Southern Maryland
First I would like to say you are a great person for taking a sick animal. I'm sure everything will be ok. Just give him the best care you can and give him time, day by day. No one can tell you how long he'll live, even people with healthy animals don't know the answer to that question. Try not to think about it and enjoy your new life. I'm sure he is :).
Awww thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably an individual tortoise type thing. One of our original members living in the foothills of Sacramento has a severely deformed sulcata. She's had him for quite a few years now, and he seems to be doing just fine. She doesn't show herself here anymore, but I'll send her a shout-out just in case - @Laura

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
It depends on the specific circumstances. Remember that MBD is a relatively new discovery, for decades tort owners didn't know what it was, what caused it or how to prevent it. Many of those torts that had severely misshapen shells and limb/jaw deformities still went on to live long lives.

I have seen a 5 y/o sulcata die from complications of MBD and I've seen decades-old tortoises that developed MBD in their early life but are still doing fine.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I read in multiple places about tortoises with previous severe MBD (which Bowser most certainly has) only living 5-10 years after being rescued because their internal organs continue to grow but their shells do not allow the growth, therefore putting stress on the lungs and heart. Has anyone heard this?

I have not heard about this until now. A tort would have to have a wildly deformed shell to inhibit growth of internal organs, but there are some wildly deformed torts out there.

Seems to me that the life shortners with the MBD torts would be the liver, kidney, and other organ damage caused by the nutitional and environmental deficiencies that caused the shell deformities. Some of this damage can be overcome with proper care and some, unfortunately cannot.

The important thing is that Bowser will live longer and happier than he would have had you not taken him in. Stop counting time and just enjoy every minute you have with him.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have not heard about this until now. A tort would have to have a wildly deformed shell to inhibit growth of internal organs, but there are some wildly deformed torts out there.

My thinking is similar. If the shell had never collapsed, I think it will grow OK.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a life should not be measured in how many breaths you take but in how many moments take your breath away

SamAnn

Southern Maryland
Thank you all for the info! I try not to worry about it... but that is just how I am haha. Its hard to see but at some point his back end collapsed and is just heavily covered in pyramiding. The best bet we have as a rep vet down here isn't exactly ideal... he still suggests i feed tomatoes, blueberries, and earth worms... so i stalk this forum to fill in the missing links and use the vet sparingly. Bowser gets better everyday, so we must be doing it right. 8 months ago this guy was scooting around on a scooter wheel without use of rear legs and only eating once a week, now we cant keep him still and hes our "outside-roomba" in the field with nice healthy poops that just about match the horses LOL!

Bowser.jpg Bowser 2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So he's using his back legs now? Good job!!

SamAnn

Southern Maryland
So he's using his back legs now? Good job!!
YES!!! like a champ!!! We did water therapy with him and he used his homemade scooter for a few months but by Spring he was creeping around on his own! He even climbs up the back step and opens the backdoor for his nightly pumpkin ball treat (laced with medication of course, but shhh dont tell him that lol)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not to sound mean but your tortoise any animal really doesn't know how long they're supposed to live 1 year 2 years 5 years 10 years, animals just live they don't worry about the past they don't care about the future they just live in the moment. As long as your tortoise is happy and enjoying life I don't think it really matters to him how long he lives, it does to us because we measure time but not to him.

Kasia

Poland
Thank you all for the info! I try not to worry about it... but that is just how I am haha. Its hard to see but at some point his back end collapsed and is just heavily covered in pyramiding. The best bet we have as a rep vet down here isn't exactly ideal... he still suggests i feed tomatoes, blueberries, and earth worms... so i stalk this forum to fill in the missing links and use the vet sparingly. Bowser gets better everyday, so we must be doing it right. 8 months ago this guy was scooting around on a scooter wheel without use of rear legs and only eating once a week, now we cant keep him still and hes our "outside-roomba" in the field with nice healthy poops that just about match the horses LOL!

View attachment 180134 View attachment 180135
Glad you take care of him. Poor thing... I hate his old caretakers, heartless/ brainless people...Hugs and kisses for you and Bowser :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
You are an awesome person to have been willing to work hard in attempts of turning things around for him. Just think what his life would have been had you not got him... Would he even still be around?.... I love Bowser's face:) and that bumpy she'll just adds to his character. I think it's just amazing that you got him to start using his hind limbs! Awesome job!!!!