Mediterranean Spur Thigh Hatchling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsSparta

5 Year Member
Hello, my name is Laura and I bought my first tortoise just two days ago. his name is Sparta and he/she is almost three months old. He/she seems to be settling in well, both days I have bathed him/her and he/she is eating well.
Sparta is living in a 1 metre by 0.75 metre wooden house, with a wooden enclosure at one end. At the moment, one half of the house is covered in soil from the garden, and the other is covered in aspen (With an area of fine bird grit) I understand that aspen is not a good choice for such young torts and I plan to replace it all with top soil tomorrow.
Within the house are a few rocks and pebbles, as well as a 'Habba hut' (Hollowed out log) and overturned plant pot. He/she also has a water dish, small enough for him/her to get in and out of but big enough to be able to bathe in.
At the opposite end of the enclosure is the heat lamp, set at 30/31c and a thermometer to monitor the heat.
Is this all okay? As a first time owner, I am a bit apprehensive...
I do have a couple of questions, firstly how often should I have the UV bulb switched on, and for how long? (At the moment I have two separate lamps, one for heat and the other for UV but I do plan on getting an all in one bulb)
Secondly, He/she keeps walking around the outside of the house, possibly looking for a way out? Is this normal? I have made sure that the end opposite the lamp is at around 20c so I don't think it could be that he/she's too warm... He/she also frequently climbs to the top of the Habba hut, looks around then walks (or rather slips) back down again...

Any help and tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

-Laura & Sparta x

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
ThisIsSparta said:
Hello, my name is Laura and I bought my first tortoise just two days ago. his name is Sparta and he/she is almost three months old. He/she seems to be settling in well, both days I have bathed him/her and he/she is eating well.
Sparta is living in a 1 metre by 0.75 metre wooden house, with a wooden enclosure at one end. At the moment, one half of the house is covered in soil from the garden, and the other is covered in aspen (With an area of fine bird grit) I understand that aspen is not a good choice for such young torts and I plan to replace it all with top soil tomorrow.
Within the house are a few rocks and pebbles, as well as a 'Habba hut' (Hollowed out log) and overturned plant pot. He/she also has a water dish, small enough for him/her to get in and out of but big enough to be able to bathe in.
At the opposite end of the enclosure is the heat lamp, set at 30/31c and a thermometer to monitor the heat.
Is this all okay? As a first time owner, I am a bit apprehensive...
I do have a couple of questions, firstly how often should I have the UV bulb switched on, and for how long? (At the moment I have two separate lamps, one for heat and the other for UV but I do plan on getting an all in one bulb)
Secondly, He/she keeps walking around the outside of the house, possibly looking for a way out? Is this normal? I have made sure that the end opposite the lamp is at around 20c so I don't think it could be that he/she's too warm... He/she also frequently climbs to the top of the Habba hut, looks around then walks (or rather slips) back down again...

Any help and tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

-Laura & Sparta x

Hi and welcome Laura and little Sparta! :tort:

The aspen is okay and used by several folks. With the fact you have the dirt side, it means you do have a more humid type area for him to go to. Why did you go with the bird grit under the aspen? I would suggest you might want to make the hide a humid hide.

You warm end is 86-88 and the cool end is 68, so certainly not too hot. How low do these temps go at night?The perimeter walking is fairly normal. For some they needed the added reassurance of a solid wall, which yours is correct? Assuming so, since you said wooden.

ThisIsSparta

5 Year Member
Yeah ive heard aspen is fine for older torts but because Sparta is so small, im concerned that he may inhale it or swallow it so i think its best to just remove it.

The bird grit has been recommended to me by a few people as torts swallow a bit to line their stomachs and it helps with digestion.

At night the levels never go below 18 so not too bad and there is plenty of substrate in his enclosure for him to bury into.

Yeah, the walls are solid and escape proof, (not that baby doesnt try!)

Any advice on the uv bilb? Jow oftenand for how long?

Thank you all for the welcomes :) x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

Status