Meet Jacques! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Jacques (named after Jacques Cousteau) is my new juvenile Mississippi mud turtle!!!!
I got him Saturday (12/5) and he's still VERY spooky. The lady I got him from says he's very shy. Part of the reason he's shy is he was being bullied by the other juvenile mud turtle in their tank- that one got most of the food. So far he only ate a little bit on Saturday, and hasn't eaten since (I count the number of pellets and dried shrimp I leave him).
We seldom see him move, but we keep finding him in different areas of the tank: sort of like "Elf on the Shelf" but with a turtle! :) :) :p

IMG_8379.jpg
IMG_8375.JPG IMG_8380.jpg IMG_8389.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
When we first put him in the tank, the sand was very smooth. He hid in the "shelves" on his big acrylic log all day and didn't BUDGE. But in the morning we found the bottom of the tank totally covered in ADORABLE, teeny, tiny mud turtle footprints!!!! :) He'd been all over that tank during the night!!!
The tank he was raised had a bare glass bottom, which made it easier of the lady to clean after them. So this is his first experience with sand, and he seems to be LOVING it!!!! His favorite sleeping place is where he has dug himself a little nest under a low area of his "log."
CUTENESS EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!! :):):):):)

IMG_8387.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Congratulations! I LOVE the tank set up! Just perfect. And don't you worry, he'll come around. They're a fairly hardy species. He looks alert and healthy in the pics.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Jacques is adorable!! I love mud turtles!! The set up is fabulous.
What kind of filter are you using with the sand??
Congratulations!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Looks great from what I can see!

(More pics! More pics!)
He hides A LOT. He may be slow on land but he can really scoot there in the water! Every time I get near him, he dashes back under his log.
I WILL be posting more pictures, but it takes a while to catch him. My cell phone doesn't have a "zoom" feature on the camera! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Jacques is adorable!! I love mud turtles!! The set up is fabulous.
What kind of filter are you using with the sand??
Congratulations!!
I have a canister filter that hangs on the side of the tank. The intake is more than 2 inches above the sand, so I haven't had any problems yet. The filter is rated "up to 20 gallons" and moves 80 gal per hour.
I hope this helps. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
When we first put him in the tank, the sand was very smooth. He hid in the "shelves" on his big acrylic log all day and didn't BUDGE. But in the morning we found the bottom of the tank totally covered in ADORABLE, teeny, tiny mud turtle footprints!!!! :) He'd been all over that tank during the night!!!
The tank he was raised had a bare glass bottom, which made it easier of the lady to clean after them. So this is his first experience with sand, and he seems to be LOVING it!!!! His favorite sleeping place is where he has dug himself a little nest under a low area of his "log."
CUTENESS EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!! :):):):):)

View attachment 158193
Completely adorable. :<3:
Very gorgeous looking turtle.
Be extra nice to dear Elsa or she'll start suffering from turtle envy! ;)