Ideas for new digs for Jacques?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Hi, Turtle People!

I've been wanting to get my little mud turtle, Jacques, out of her 20 gal tank and into a bigger tank for quite a while, but financial constraints interfered (I KNEW that when I retired, my pension check would be smaller than my former paycheck, but adjusting can be a challenge...o_O )
NOW we've gotten caught up on some things, and I'm picking up a little part time work, so I'm seriously looking at Jacques' new, and hopefully final, tank.

I really want her to have more stimulation. Watching her just sit in her little tank reminds me of animals in a zoo: safe and well cared for but apathetic. Yes, I know she's a reptile but her brain is also NATURALLY geared to hunt and explore, etc. So I'm especially trying to think of ways that I can have other fish and things in the tank with her. But I want them to have plenty of places to hide in case she wants to eat them. Sure, I expect she'll get some of them, but I want them to at least have a fair chance.

I was thinking 40 gal breeder (or bigger?) with lots of plants- probably artificial, for the most part. I was thinking of having the water about a foot deep, but with lots of "furniture" and shallow water platforms for Jacques to rest on and hide under.

Any ideas, suggestions and previous experience would be appreciated!!!!:):):)

I would also like to add that I am interested in ideas for good filtration. I have arthritis in my hands, and have had surgery on my thumbs, so I'm a bit clumsy. Dealing with small tubing, clips and dials etc is very difficult for me. Hubby helps but he's got his own job, so I'd like to find the easiest way to handle the filtration. Thanks again! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have the room and don't need it really deep, look into a hard plastic kiddy pool. Much cheaper then an aquarium. You could also build a wood tank, line it with foam insulation padding or pond padding and then line it with pond Liner. Also probably cheaper then getting an aquarium and you can build it any way you want. Just a couple ideas

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If you have the room and don't need it really deep, look into a hard plastic kiddy pool. Much cheaper then an aquarium. You could also build a wood tank, line it with foam insulation padding or pond padding and then line it with pond Liner. Also probably cheaper then getting an aquarium and you can build it any way you want. Just a couple ideas
Thanks!!! :)

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I used an 80 gallon solid-sides hydroponic reservoir for Muddie (5" mud turtle) for about 6 months. She adjusted quickly and seemed to enjoy it. However, I didn't! I couldn't see her except for when she would surface or bask. I've since moved her to a large glass tank just so I can peek in on her whenever I want.

As far as filtration is concerned, I really prefer mechanical and biological filters. Once the tank stabilizes, maintenance is fairly minimal - no frequent filter changes (like charcoal filters would need). My 240 gallon tank (half filled) only gets topped off once a week and I honesty have only done a major water change once on it (after 9 months of running). If you use cheap filter floss as the mechanical filter and it can be tossed and replaced when it looks grungy.

Also, my 3" adult stinkpot is in a 55 gal long (half filled) tank and "seems" satisfied with the space.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just looked up mud Turtles. There a bunch of different ones. Do you know if they all stay that small or are some smaller or some bigger?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I just looked up mud Turtles. There a bunch of different ones. Do you know if they all stay that small or are some smaller or some bigger?
I'm pretty sure the mud turtles all stay small. My Jacques is either an Eastern or an Eastern/Mississippi intergrade. She's 2.5 yrs old and a little more than 3 inches long. She is a little character!!! :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Hi Mooz!
I like the idea of a 40 gallon breeder tank. You can get an aquarium stand for it in time and decent filtration too.
Since you're on a limited budget acquire things as you can afford them. The tank first, the stand and then filtration. The filters are highly variable but I recommend the Cascade 1000 models that you can get online for about $99.00. Yes, a somewhat expensive filter but they are awesome and last for years.
Sorry about your thumbs and arthritis--many of us have this as we get into our 50s and 60s.
Once the filter is set up and running they aren't too difficult to service once every 6 weeks and you should be able to manage it.
I'll try and post up some pics tomorrow.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi Mooz!
I like the idea of a 40 gallon breeder tank. You can get an aquarium stand for it in time and decent filtration too.
Since you're on a limited budget acquire things as you can afford them. The tank first, the stand and then filtration. The filters are highly variable but I recommend the Cascade 1000 models that you can get online for about $99.00. Yes, a somewhat expensive filter but they are awesome and last for years.
Sorry about your thumbs and arthritis--many of us have this as we get into our 50s and 60s.
Once the filter is set up and running they aren't too difficult to service once every 6 weeks and you should be able to manage it.
I'll try and post up some pics tomorrow.
THANKS!!! :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You could use a plastic stock tank like what horses or cows eat or drink out of. If you get a light colored one, they come in gray, then you would be able to see her from above. The kids swimming pool idea is also a great one. Definitely cheaper. Or watch craigslist or the papers for somebody giving away an aquarium.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Here are some random photos of filters and tanks at my home.
These are the Cascade 1000 model filters. These are quite reliable, fairly easy to clean and maintain and all of mine are at least 4 or 5 years old.
The one drawback is that in smaller aquariums they do produce some strong current from the return tube.
DSCN5977_zpsefn6bspb.jpg

This is an Aquatop canister filter that has a U/V bulb that supposedly sterilizes the water---kind of have my doubts about how effective this really is though.
I have two of these filters (I think I paid about $90.00 for each) operating and they are even easier to set up and run than the Cascade filters. However, they don't seem to be quite as effective at removing the finer particulate matter as the Cascades. But then I could probably modify what filter medium (= the stuff you place inside the filter) I'm using for better results. Thats the nice thing about canister filters...you can experiment with various carbons, resins, screens, floss, and so forth.
DSCN5978_zps3cbev24q.jpg

This is an old photo of a 20 gallon long aquarium that I had converted by installing a barrier made of thick plexiglass so I could have a land area.
I had a number of these tanks at one time. Notice that I was using a submersible filter. They are OK for smaller volumes of water and are easy to clean.
Twenty gallon aquariums like these are as small as I would recommend for an adult mud or musk turtle. Although they are fine for females that you know will nest soon.
DSC00446.jpg

This was a 55 gallon aquarium with the same modification as the 20 long tank. The nice thing about 55 gallon aquariums is that they are CHEAP to purchase as they are mass produced. Their drawback is that they are rather tall and narrow without a lot of surface area for their size.
Still, for a single mud turtle you make make a pretty cool environment. I used corkbark slabs that I wedged against the glass for climbing and rest areas.
Corkbark works well but you do need to take it out and scrub it down periodically.
Kbauriitanknight.jpg

Here is another 55 gallon tank. In the bottom right you can see the Marineland Magnum 300 canister filter that I was using at the time.
These filters are sort of a pain to set up and also to clean. They have a gasket at the top that is difficult to seat properly when putting the lid back on. Also, the impeller (that's to doohickey thing that pushed the water out of the filter and then back to the tank) is at the very bottom of the canister so any little particle of charcoal or carbon--or even dirt will interfere with its operation. When this happens the filter makes a loud and very irritating squealing sound.
DSC05367.jpg

I also like to collect driftwood either from the rivers I canoe on or at the beach. Like the corkbark, one needs to remove this wood for a scrub-down from time to time.
BTW yes, I do like clear water!
DSC04730.jpg

I hope these photos give you some ideas for Jacques.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Here are some random photos of filters and tanks at my home.
These are the Cascade 1000 model filters. These are quite reliable, fairly easy to clean and maintain and all of mine are at least 4 or 5 years old.
The one drawback is that in smaller aquariums they do produce some strong current from the return tube.
DSCN5977_zpsefn6bspb.jpg

This is an Aquatop canister filter that has a U/V bulb that supposedly sterilizes the water---kind of have my doubts about how effective this really is though.
I have two of these filters (I think I paid about $90.00 for each) operating and they are even easier to set up and run than the Cascade filters. However, they don't seem to be quite as effective at removing the finer particulate matter as the Cascades. But then I could probably modify what filter medium (= the stuff you place inside the filter) I'm using for better results. Thats the nice thing about canister filters...you can experiment with various carbons, resins, screens, floss, and so forth.
DSCN5978_zps3cbev24q.jpg

This is an old photo of a 20 gallon long aquarium that I had converted by installing a barrier made of thick plexiglass so I could have a land area.
I had a number of these tanks at one time. Notice that I was using a submersible filter. They are OK for smaller volumes of water and are easy to clean.
Twenty gallon aquariums like these are as small as I would recommend for an adult mud or musk turtle. Although they are fine for females that you know will nest soon.
DSC00446.jpg

This was a 55 gallon aquarium with the same modification as the 20 long tank. The nice thing about 55 gallon aquariums is that they are CHEAP to purchase as they are mass produced. Their drawback is that they are rather tall and narrow without a lot of surface area for their size.
Still, for a single mud turtle you make make a pretty cool environment. I used corkbark slabs that I wedged against the glass for climbing and rest areas.
Corkbark works well but you do need to take it out and scrub it down periodically.
Kbauriitanknight.jpg

Here is another 55 gallon tank. In the bottom right you can see the Marineland Magnum 300 canister filter that I was using at the time.
These filters are sort of a pain to set up and also to clean. They have a gasket at the top that is difficult to seat properly when putting the lid back on. Also, the impeller (that's to doohickey thing that pushed the water out of the filter and then back to the tank) is at the very bottom of the canister so any little particle of charcoal or carbon--or even dirt will interfere with its operation. When this happens the filter makes a loud and very irritating squealing sound.
DSC05367.jpg

I also like to collect driftwood either from the rivers I canoe on or at the beach. Like the corkbark, one needs to remove this wood for a scrub-down from time to time.
BTW yes, I do like clear water!
DSC04730.jpg

I hope these photos give you some ideas for Jacques.
These are all GREAT!!!!:) I especially like the plexiglass to set up a land area!!! Thanks SO MUCH!!!!

And thank you AGAIN for all the tips and info on the different filters- that's very helpful!!!!! :) :) :)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

They all do...best best is razorback or muds...musk lets out a bad order as a defense mechanism...cant really handle them..