Meet Jacques! :)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Your lil guy is stunning...do you have close up pics of your set uo?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Your lil guy is stunning...do you have close up pics of your set uo?
Not really.
It's super simple: 20 gal aquarium with sand bottom, some driftwood, fake plants, resin caves and a basking platform.
Just a regular aquarium filter sized for a 40 gal tank. I have fluorescent UVB bulbs and incandescent for basking.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Goodness, how time flies! :)
How is Jacques ?
She's doing wonderfully!:) Thank you for asking!!! :)
She has become quite bold and inquisitive as she's growing up! She's no longer so timid, and Now I have to push her out of the way when I'm netting out the food remnants that she hasn't eaten. She can still be picky about her food if I feed her daily, but eats very well when I feed her every other day- which I was told many people do. If she had her way, she would eat ONLY sushi-grade raw salmon every day until she could eat no more!!!:p But she's managing to make do with fresh catfish, which is native to the same streams and bayous that her kind inhabit in the wild down here, so it's s very natural food for her. She also gets any meat left overs that we may have from our own meals: chicken, pork chop, pot roast etc.
I need to post some new pictures...:p

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Not really.
It's super simple: 20 gal aquarium with sand bottom, some driftwood, fake plants, resin caves and a basking platform.
Just a regular aquarium filter sized for a 40 gal tank. I have fluorescent UVB bulbs and incandescent for basking.

Post a recent pic any way! Sounds great..

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
She's doing wonderfully!:) Thank you for asking!!! :)
She has become quite bold and inquisitive as she's growing up! She's no longer so timid, and Now I have to push her out of the way when I'm netting out the food remnants that she hasn't eaten. She can still be picky about her food if I feed her daily, but eats very well when I feed her every other day- which I was told many people do. If she had her way, she would eat ONLY sushi-grade raw salmon every day until she could eat no more!!!:p But she's managing to make do with fresh catfish, which is native to the same streams and bayous that her kind inhabit in the wild down here, so it's s very natural food for her. She also gets any meat left overs that we may have from our own meals: chicken, pork chop, pot roast etc.
I need to post some new pictures...:p
Yes, please!
She's such a pretty little thing.
Very glad she's getting on so well. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This is Jacques' current set up, as of August 2017. I made several changes: The long light is UVB T5 (2 bulbs) and the round light is just an incandescent for heat. I got the idea for her basking platform from YouTube videos by BauriBob. If you haven't found Bauri Bob's videos, they are WONDERFUL! He had an amazing custom made tank for his mud turtles that you have to see to believe. Jacques' basking platform is PVC pipes filled with sand (obviously capped on the bottom to stop the sand leaking out). The top of the platform is a plastic lighting grid referred to as "egg crate" which I tied soft fiberglass mesh over. It does a great job and she gets up and basks frequently.

IMG_7716.JPG

IMG_7717.JPG

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've been re-reading my earliest posts on Jacques, and BOY, has she changed! :p She is no longer timid at all! She seems to like being up front the best and watches what's going on. She has taken to sleeping in the front right corner of her tank, which is SOOOOO cute! I tried to snap a picture of her sleeping, but just as I took the picture, she opened her eyes. Then it all went to her head and she started posing! :p
Until I had a tank turtle of my own, I would NEVER have believed they could be so personable and cute!!! :):<3::<3::<3:

IMG_7352.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I also notice in my earlier posts on her, I had her listed as a Mississippi mud turtle, but it looks like she is either an Eastern or a Mississippi/Eastern Intergrade because her head and neck are so light. As she grew larger, it also became apparent she was female. :) I thought about changing her name to match her gender, but I had called her Jacques for over a year, so it was too hard to change. I know other people on the forum whose torts have names that don't match their genders: one is a Leopard male named Lola (that always cracks me up!). I doubt Jacques cares- SHE knows who she is!!!! :p

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This is Jacques' current set up, as of August 2017. I made several changes: The long light is UVB T5 (2 bulbs) and the round light is just an incandescent for heat. I got the idea for her basking platform from YouTube videos by BauriBob. If you haven't found Bauri Bob's videos, they are WONDERFUL! He had an amazing custom made tank for his mud turtles that you have to see to believe. Jacques' basking platform is PVC pipes filled with sand (obviously capped on the bottom to stop the sand leaking out). The top of the platform is a plastic lighting grid referred to as "egg crate" which I tied soft fiberglass mesh over. It does a great job and she gets up and basks frequently.

View attachment 216328

View attachment 216329
Wonderful set up!
I love Jacques ! :<3:

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Nice going Mooz!
I want the 'crab festival' sign behind my tanks too. Or better yet, crawdad festival!
I'll say this...Jacques is a unique specimen. Nice markings and color. But a hippocrepus all the way if she is locally captured.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Nice going Mooz!
I want the 'crab festival' sign behind my tanks too. Or better yet, crawdad festival!
I'll say this...Jacques is a unique specimen. Nice markings and color. But a hippocrepus all the way if she is locally captured.
Thanks, cdmay! :) Yes, she's local: from Madisonville, La! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Here is the corner of the breakfast room where Jacques lives. The sea creatures on the wall are all ceramic, purchased gradually over the years at local art festivals! :) @cdmay

IMG_7723.JPG