Meet Moe (picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggotlyfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MA
I adopted him from a girl I know through a friend. He was on alfalfa pellets and eating any kind of vegi's from the supermarket. By any I mean broccoli, peppers, iceberg lettuce etc... As far as I know he was never given soaks either. She said he is only a year old, he is 600 grams and about 7 or 8 inches long.
I have him on bed a beast and cypress. I am feeding him grasses that are grown in his encolsure, hays, spring mix and Mazuri. I have been soaking him every other day. I am concerned about the pyrimiding that has started. Should I be doing anything different?
He is not used to the flash on the camera.
DSC00079.jpg

Such a handsome guy!
DSC00107.jpg

Truckin along in the tub.
DSC00073.jpg

This is him with this little friend Larry
DSC00070.jpg

Larry
DSC00077.jpg

And my cat wanted in on the bath too!
DSC00086.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

We always suggest that there be a quarantine period of about 6 months or more before you put a stranger with the resident animals. *probably* because he was confined at your friends house you don't have to worry about him passing pathogens to your animal that would make him sick...That's a probably.
He needs good food and humidity to stop the pyramiding that he already has, and it sounds to me like you are on the right track with him. Good job!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a cute little sulcata. His pyramiding isn't too bad. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I especially like the first shot. He almost looks like his carapace is cutting off his head.

(Your hairless cat is pretty special too!)

Maggotlyfe

5 Year Member
MA
Thanks, I work at an animal hospital with a reptile vet and we have already checked a fecal sample and it was clear of any parasites.
It looks like his shell is too heavy for him in that picture, haha.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kristen your torts are beautiful!...Your cat...that's another story....Awwww....I'm sorry. She's really cute too.

Maggotlyfe

5 Year Member
MA
Its all good. A lot of people dont like the naked cats!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great pictures!! You have two very handsome torts :)
I love the name Larry :D
My friend has two Sphynxes and I've heard they have the best personalities!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OMG that first picture made me scream! That was scary. Then in the second photo, hey presto! the tortoise morphs into a 3-D animal! :cool:

It's OK, I forgive you for almost giving me a heart attack! ;)

After that, the cat was no big deal. :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Stephanie Logan said:
OMG that first picture made me scream! That was scary. Then in the second photo, hey presto! the tortoise morphs into a 3-D animal! :cool:

It's OK, I forgive you for almost giving me a heart attack! ;)

After that, the cat was no big deal. :p

Stephanie, you are too, too funny!!

M

mom03

I am sitting at work laughing out loud at the pictures and these posts! You all are funny!

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I love the torts, but I am very intrested to see more photos of your cat!
Ive heard of them but never actually seen one! Also ive heard of naked rats ect!
xx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maggotlyfe said:
Its all good. A lot of people dont like the naked cats!

I like them. They're warm. I got to work with the ones from "Austin Powers". Good kitties.

About the pyramiding. It has been my experience that whatever pattern they start as a little itty bitty baby will continue, no matter what you do. I've asked the question several times and have yet to be shown anything that contradicts this theory. I'm currently trying to prove/disprove this theory with my two year old sulcata. She was pyramiding when I got her at 3 months old and all the humidity, good food, exercise, sunshine and calcium supplementation in the world isn't stopping it. For the last six months she's been living in swampy conditions and its hard to tell, but it looks like the shell MIGHT be growing a little smoother. I'll have a better answer in 2 or 3 years.

Having said all of that, there is no reason not to try. There is no reason NOT to give them the best conditions you can. If all else is good, pyramiding is only cosmetic anyway.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
LOL -- Stephanie wrote it perfectly!! the first picture--- LOL I was like OMG the poor thing, then bam the second, what a cute muffin!! The Cat is adorable!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Stephanie...I had exactly the same feeling and ended up roaring. Now this is all too much excitement for an old lady so I think I will go lay down with my hairy cats...
Roachman...It is my experience and opinion that if you get them small and correct the husbandry, adding ambient humidity, correct food and all that jazz you CAN stop the pyramiding. Then the rest of the growth is normal and as the animal grows the bumps get smaller and end up being little peaks.
Bob was pyramiding when I got him...I'm going to start a different thread so we don't hijack this one...

Maggotlyfe

5 Year Member
MA
Sorry it has been a while without a computer. I will post more kitty pictures tomorrow.

moswen

5 Year Member
haha i'm with all you guys. only i didn't scream, but i probably spent a whole minute staring at it trying to figure out the problem before i realized the water.... oh, i love being blonde...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Roachman26 said:
I like them. They're warm. I got to work with the ones from "Austin Powers". Good kitties.

Of course you did...haha I'm not even surprised anymore. What an awesome job!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ChiKat said:
Roachman26 said:

Of course you did...haha I'm not even surprised anymore. What an awesome job!

Tom has pretty much worked with EVERY animal in any commerical, tv show, or movie.... name it.. and he did it! talk about contributing to the benefit of all humans. his work has been viewed by billions of people for many years, and centuries to come!!

Status
Not open for further replies.