Meet my newest grand baby Wilson

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I know it seems overwhelming at first, but when your little Guy is reaping the benefits and interacting with you on a routine basis, it makes it all worthwhile! I am just experiencing this. My enclosures are on a night n day timer, so when the light comes on at 5am , they both come straight out of the hides and head for the breakfast rock. ( I put fresh food in every morning) it’s one of my favorite times of day.

daniellenc

Maryland
If you read the links you’ll get the closed chamber idea. Without an enclosed home they can’t be kept warm enough or humid and will pyramid but more importantly catch a respiratory infection in cooler months and potentially die.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Was very grainy looking and loose. His poos are pretty solid, firm looking.

Next time put slight pressure on the urate it should be very soft, like a loose consistency tooth paste. And the poo is best when formed but nice and soft, not firm

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Pearly, I know zero. It is pretty hot here in Utah right now. Like upper 90's to 100+ degrees in days and upper 60 but mostly 70-80 degrees at night. I spray his tank daily, or couple or three times a day with water and I have him two water dishes in there as well.

Is there a heat source and the UVB lamp in the tank? And thermometer (like a little digital one) inside the tank? Or is there a temp gun that your son uses to check temps of all his reptile enclosures? You see with reptiles we need to allow them to keep their body warm (tort baby should not drop below 80F) and they all need basking spot to warm up more when he/she needs, otherwise they can’t digest their food. They depend on the external heat source because their body unlike mammals do not generate heat. The stringer Adults can survive without heat and UVB source for a while even long time before they get very sick and succumb to their improper captive conditions. Baby reptiles that are kept without heat/UVB source usually go pretty quickly. We hear about people losing hatchings here all the time. And many times that’s only because they were not started correctly by the person who had hatched them in the first place. The cascade of events starts very early on and by the time (couple wks) the new owner gets them, even doing all the right things for them, it’s already too late. I know it must be A LOT for you to cope with. I’m sure you didn’t sign up for any of that. I am sorry, but at this same time very glad and happy that you care enough to get on this forum and try to do what you can.

JENNY04

It looks to me like you have a Sulcata.. I’ll let an expert verify that here, but how did you get him? If it is a Sulcata, are you prepared for his mature size? He IS a cutie btw:)
If it is a Sulcata look on its back end kind of like the inner thigh if there is a spur there than you have a sulcata. If not sure what I meet then look up pictures of a spur on a Sulcata also called a spur thighed tortoise good luck .