Meet Rambo the Redfoot

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
First off, all of my pets come to me 2nd hand and I am generally at a loss for what to re-name an animal when it has spent 6 years as "Rambo" (Or Vern, Ruby, Mazola, Tequila, Scooter, etc) so here SHE is, Ms. Rambo.

She's about 6 years old and is as sweet as pie so far. Her owner went off to college and left Mom & Dad to do the tortoise-sitting and it just wasn't working out. They felt bad that they were only providing for her and she wasn't thriving, so here she is!

She's really dry and pretty light (8 inches and 3#4oz.) and her nails were a mess! She got a good soak and scrub, followed by some coconut oil and a manicure. We are going to have to keep working on the nails, but she hasn't even hissed or pulled into her shell and she's eating like no one has ever fed her. I also have a nice normal poo sample for the vet.

Before the spa treatment:

Levitating:

Nasty toenails. The one nail had a bunch of coco husk in it and a bit of dried blood. I think she likely caught it on something so I cleaned it out and put a dab of ointment on it. Now we just watch it.

After the spa day:

She's already eating everything offered to her. Greens, mazuri, fruit, a dab of tuna...

Rue

Canada
Adorable! Nice to see she's getting some TLC!

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Sounds like she will enjoy her new home !

allegraf

10 Year Member!
She will plump up and moisturizer in no time. Glad you save her!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What a sweet looking red! I'd love to see how much color she really has under all that dryness. Keep us updated and thanks for giving her a new life :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What a sweet looking red! I'd love to see how much color she really has under all that dryness. Keep us updated and thanks for giving her a new life :)
Just with a long soak (boy did she hate that!) and a little coco oil I already see some brilliant red leg scales under the raisin-y dry skin.

I am NOT amused. - Rambo

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Also - has anyone seen 'crusty' growth like she has between her scutes? Looks like she was kept really dry.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Also - has anyone seen 'crusty' growth like she has between her scutes? Looks like she was kept really dry.

I'm sure the new growth will resolve itself with the improved husbandry. I'm fairly new to tortoise keeping but it would be interesting to find out why that "irregularity" happens.

**And I just re-read the original post. I want to see chunky leg pictures on that cutie pie by the end of the month!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Takes a long time for them to deteriorate and seems to take twice as long to recuperate. Always glad to see them on the right track. She will be even more beautiful in year of so.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
She seems to have been well socialized at least, she is really sweet. Looking at her shell I think she was likely well cared for when she was younger in a closed chamber and then her humidity went to pot when they moved her into her table as an adult. Apparently they had her since she was a hatchling so the pyramiding and growth could have been worse.
I can't wait to fatten her up and see new growth.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a few with crusty growth in the scute boarders. Almost all of mine were rescues and were dry when I got them. The new growth is smoother.
As for the pyramiding, that's not bad, trust me. I have some that look like they have the Swiss Alps on their backs.
They seem happy enough.

Glad you can give this tort a better life.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I rescued my George last august. Like yours, he was just over 8 inches and about 3.5 lbs, and very dry. He is now over 9 inches and weighs 4.5 lbs. Here is before and after.10914913_10153049162863434_1105773855711718458_o.jpg 20160316_115625.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
As for the pyramiding, that's not bad, trust me. I have some that look like they have the Swiss Alps on their backs..

I know all about spiky torts, Vern is out "Pinecone" It makes him easier to pick up and lug around though, haha. (Don't mind the funny colored face, he helps himself to the blackberry thicket when they are ripe)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@lisa127 - George's before pictures look a lot like Rambo. He's a handsome dude.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I know all about spiky torts, Vern is out "Pinecone" It makes him easier to pick up and lug around though, haha. (Don't mind the funny colored face, he helps himself to the blackberry thicket when they are ripe)
HIS FACE IS SO CUTE ! "Nothing can stop me now ! Muahahaha!!!"