Meet Yertle and Mertle!!

Sarlo08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Why hello there!

Yertle & Mertle.jpgYertle and Mertle are pleased to meet you! We live in Central New York!
So I recently upgraded my enclosure and I'm pretty proud of it...figured I show'er off! I realize that their shells are pyramiding so I've greatly increased the humidity levels and calcium intake. I'm hoping that within a few months their shells should start to smooth out...Whatcha think? Anything I should add?
Yertle and Mertle say "whats up!" :)

Attachments

• Yertle & Mertle2.jpg
    Yertle & Mertle2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 109
  • Yertle & Mertle3.jpg
    Yertle & Mertle3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Yertle & Mertle4.jpg
    Yertle & Mertle4.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Yertle & Mertle5.jpg
    Yertle & Mertle5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Yertle & Mertle6.jpg
    Yertle & Mertle6.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 109
  • Yertle & Mertle7.jpg
    Yertle & Mertle7.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Why hello there!

Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ
And all that you can do about the pyramiding is keep it the way it is it don't level back out ! Sorry !

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
RE: Why hello there!

Hi and welcome. The pyramiding that's there cannot be reversed, but you can prevent it from getting worse. There are a few things that cause pyramiding. If a tort doesn't have enough humidity in his enclosure, that can cause this problem, along with lack of real sunlight, lack of exercise, lack of good diet, lack of calcium supplements. It's important to understand the role each of these factors play in the general health and development of your tort. Tom is a member who gives excellent advice on these things. I suggest you start reading his threads on sulcata care. Let us know if you can't find his threads on sulcata care.:)

TortoiseMike

5 Year Member
Re: Why hello there!

I recited two big sultanas three years ago from this idiot who kept them in a glass box for almost seven years with no heat or UVB.... It was a work in progress. Three years later. .. lost one of Em due to MBD, but the bigger of the two has pulled thru. ..Frekka is her name. Sully, the one who passed eventually was beyond repair. .. Could only walk by pulling herself around, whereas Frekka still had the strength to lift and walk. The idiot only feed em dry hay too! Now my big sulcata is marvelous but will always be scarred1384783092421.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarlo:

Welcome to the Forum!

You've done a very nice job on the new habitat, but I'm afraid I've go some bad news for you...it isn't nearly big enough. I know that the weather isn't good for outside tortoises right now, but as soon as you can, you need to get them outside.

For a tortoise of the size of your biggest one, you should have an indoor habitat at LEAST twice as big as the one you've built.

Besides a humid environment, exercise plays a big part in the pyramid equation. Food and heat are the other two parts.

Also, you are losing quite a bit of the benefits of the lights by having them point outwards like they are. You should hang them from the ceiling so they point straight down.

It's good to see that you are trying to improve your tortoises' lives. You've made a real good start.

Sarlo08

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks guys! The enclosure is a 4x4 foot raised garden bed which is all I can afford at this time...but they do come out and walk around the apartment. During the summer I let them out on the patio, which they love! So they are getting lots of exercise and I've got a good diet going :) In the future, I'm hoping to put the whole enclosure on wheels and create a bottom floor - which would include me cutting out part of the floor they are on now and building a ramp to the "downstairs". In all, they are much happier - I had them in a 50 gallon tank (but also didn't realize how bad that was at the time) previously so this upgrade was a major endeavor for a struggling student :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sarah, the thing is you know (or are learning) where your weak spots are and your working to improve that. Some things take a bit of time and budgeting, most of us have been there. What are you going to school to learn?

Sarlo08

5 Year Member
New York
Aww thanks! I think so too...I'm just happy that these are things that I can change in time. I'm currently finishing my bachelors in psychology and then working on my masters next fall - a dual degree in public administration and social work. Super excited to be done with it!!

Thank you all for your input! I don't know anyone who has tortoises or knows much about them so all tips and info are much appreciated! I have several books but there are so many conflicting views on proper care...Wish I had found the Tortoise forum much sooner!

Sarlo08

5 Year Member
New York
Yvonne G - I was able to angle the lights more downward so they are now directly pointing down - thanks for the tip! They are both enjoying a thorough basking sesh :)

bryl

5 Year Member
so adorable!!!! I'm a knitter myself, did you make their hats? I LOVE the names!

Sarlo08

5 Year Member
New York
haha I wish! These little pumpkins loved Halloween! I had them made through "Mossy Tortoise" on Etsy.com (She also has a page on facebook with the same title) - Katie makes all different kinds of tortoise cozies and they are soo adorable I couldn't resist! I currently have two santa hat cozies being made - I'll post some pictures of them closer to X-mass :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sarlo08 said:
haha I wish! These little pumpkins loved Halloween! I had them made through "Mossy Tortoise" on Etsy.com (She also has a page on facebook with the same title) - Katie makes all different kinds of tortoise cozies and they are soo adorable I couldn't resist! I currently have two santa hat cozies being made - I'll post some pictures of them closer to X-mass :)

She is also a member in here! :D