Mega ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olafo789

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I have a terrarium 220cmx80cmx45 (LxWxH) with african leopard and sulcata tortoise I have:

2 solar glo exo terra
1 Desert 50 zill
1 reptiglo 8.0 exoterra
1 heat emitter exoterra for the night

I controle temperature and humidity but I dont have an UV meter.

Somebody who tells me about this mark: Mega Ray. Its works? Beneficts or any information?

Thank you so much. Please sorry for my english but my native speaching language its spanish because Im from Costa Rica.

Best regards,

Olafo789

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't know this brand of light, so I don't know how effective they are. I know for sure the the T-Rex Active UV heat bulbs work. Can you get those there? Your cage is absolutely stunning, but I see a few problems. I don't want to bum you out, but I do want to share with you what I know in the interest of keeping your torts happy. Here are some things I noticed in your video.

1. Those two species have very different personalities and should not be mixed. You really ought to separate them ASAP.
2. Those coil-type bulbs have been implicated in injuring tortoise eyes in the past. I would not risk using them.
3. Flourescent UV lights do nothing but light up your cage. They don't hurt anything, but they aren't helping your torts either.
4. You live in a tropical paradise. You should be able to provide some sunshine year round and so you don't need all those UV bulbs. 20 minutes, twice a week is a good minimum, but more sunshine would be even better. Here's a thread on outdoor enclosures: http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure
5. It is only a question of time until one of those clamps fails and drops a hot bulb into your enclosure. Almost all of the long term keepers here have had it happen. Try suspending them from the ceiling or another overhead bar instead. They will all be much more effective if they are pointing straight down. This will also allow you to adjust your temps by moving them up or down. I would use only one MVB and the CHE on one side or the other. You need a cool side AND a warm side. Right now you are heating both sides.
6. You need an infared heat gun or a remote probed thermometer to properly measure your temps. Knowing the temps up there in the corners doesn't help you.
7. Its too dry in there and your tort are starting to pyramid. Here's a thread with everything you need to know:
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

Here's another thread that is full of good info and discussion on pyramiding:
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding

My goal is not to hurt your feelings, but to help you and your torts. It is obvious from that set-up that you love them and will do anything for them, I just think your set-up needs some adjusting.

Please stick around and keep asking questions.

Olafo789

5 Year Member
Ok the minimum temperature its 25centigrades degrees and the higher temperatur its 30, thare are caves and places to hide.

I use a heat emitter for the night, I dont like infrarred lamps because they affec the circadian cycle of animals. The humidity its around 50% to 95% in the highest point. Clamp lamps are safetly to avoid animal burns. I will wait until they where damage to change them.

I read in tortoise trust, chelonian and in many books that you could keep sulcata and pardalis in the same conditions and terrarium.

I read about eye injury with that type of boulbs and you have all the reason, I need to change them but when them get damaged.

My country is not tropical its like rain forest climate where I live with temperutes between 14-18 all year so its easy to keep them out. And the most part of the year its raining. And also you need a minimum of 12hour a day of UV emitions to get the perfect levels of Vit D3 in the tortoise metabolism to use correctly calcium on bondes.

Peaple try to use a more basic english because my english its not so bad, and please let say sorry for my redaction of english jajajajaja I try as better I can.

Bes regards,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm trying to help you here. I could see your cage, temps and set-up from the video. I'm in Mexico City right now, so I understand the language barrier very well. Let me try again.

1. Your temps are okay for the cool side and the warm side, but you need a basking spot of around 40 C. This is very important. If 30 is the warmest they can get, its not warm enough. See the part in my care sheet for this. You need the light to point straight down onto a flat rock of some sort to make a basking spot.
2. Your heat emitter (CHE) is great for night. Infared bulbs are okay too, and they don't affect the animals circadian rhythms. I was not referring to a bulb, however. I was referring to an "infared heat gun". Its a small device used to measure surface temps instantly.
3. The clamps on your lamps are not a good way to attach your lights. They don't have to be damaged to fail. It is only a question of time until you find a lamp in your enclosure or on the floor. Also, your lamps need to point straight down, not at an angle, as they are. This will also allow to adjust the basking temp, by moving the light up or down. If its clamped to the side like that you can't adjust anything.
4. Sulcatas and Leopards do need similar living conditions, however, that does not mean they can live together. They have very different personalities and are not compatible. Also, much of the info "out there" in the world is old, outdated and or incorrect.
5. 50% humidity is too low. That's why they are starting to pyramid. Please read the attached threads. They need daily soaks, spraying and more humidity RIGHT NOW! You really ought to put a humid hide box in there too. If you choose not to do things things all your babies are going to grow up lumpy. I know this because I grew them that way for 20 years, until I learned better. I'm trying to prevent you (and your torts) from having to go through what I went through.
6. Those coil bulbs need to come out now. Not after the damage is done.
7. You don't need 12 hours a day of UV lighting. If they are indoors, the UV bulbs are great and you should leave them on for 12 hours. If they are outdoors even for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week, that is all the UV they need. More time outside is better, but that much is enough. Babies in the wild stay hidden almost all day. They do NOT sit out in the open and bask for 12 hours. Natural sunshine is MUCH better than artificial bulbs. The artificial bulbs are made for people who aren't as fortunate as you and don't have access to warm sunny weather year round.
8. Here's an example of a proper set-up:
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Basic-Enclosures
Notice the basking spot, right under the lamp. The warm side, over near the lamp. The cool side, away from the lamp. In my room I use a large heater and keep the whole room warm, but you could simply use your heat emitter for this purpose. Notice how the lamp points straight down. Notice the shallow water bowl and the damp substrate. Notice the humid hide area. Your set up is a million times more attractive than mine, but with some minor adjustments it can be just as functional.

I won't bother you with this anymore. You can do as you please. I just wish that someone had told me these things when I was in your shoes. So, I've told you. Seems like the right thing to do. Good luck.

Olafo789

5 Year Member
Thank you so much my friend.
I have an area with 90% of humidity in right zone of terrarium.
I will try to change position of lamps, but right now no money to change my spot light.
I use UV light because im doctor and I work in the day and have not time to put then
at sun light.-

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Olafo789 said:
Thank you so much my friend.
I have an area with 90% of humidity in right zone of terrarium.
I will try to change position of lamps, but right now no money to change my spot light.
I use UV light because im doctor and I work in the day and have not time to put then
at sun light.-

De nada amigo. Buena suerte.

Status
Not open for further replies.