Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
I know a lot of people say tortoises aren't particularly intelligent. But I was curious about memory. I have been moved now for just over 3 weeks, have had trouble getting Phillip to eat much. Understandably the move had affected him. At the flat, he ate from a pink dish with ridges on the bottom. It's in a lot of my pics haha. (kept beak down with the ridges) when we moved I threw it away in favour of a slate... He used it a bit but after three weeks still no regularity... Today I went to the range and spotted the same dish for £1. I bought it. Filled it with food, he was on it as soon as it hit the floor :) within a second he was eating as before. I wonder if it's coincidence and he's settled or if he just missed that one little pink dish.... :) creatures of habit??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know a lot of people say tortoises aren't particularly intelligent.

Whoever thinks this is, well, not the sharpest tool in the shed....they are extremely intelligent....:D

I wonder if it's coincidence and he's settled or if he just missed that one little pink dish.... creatures of habit??

Yes, they are creatures of habit and rulers of routine....I don't believe he cared that his dish is a little pink one, but that his place to go to eat his yummies was not there....along with his world was entirely changed....yes, that little smart tort was not only displaced, but his little pink dish was no where in site to aid comfort in getting his food....lol:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They are definitely creatures if habit and they do remember impotant things like 'a pink dish means food' and 'going in a carboard box means a nasty vet is going to stick a needle in me'

Hand fed torts often refuse food unless they are fed by hand. They don't seem to realise that the same stuff is edible when it's presented another way.

Don't forget that now Philip has a garden to eat, the amount that he decides to eat from your offerings will change from day to day. I have days when Joe eats nothing I've offered because he's been too busy filling up on clover and clematis or similar.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting. I have seen similar things with water dishes. Many people buy those tall sided, deep water dishes that are meant for lizards and snakes at the pet shop and because they are not comfortable with them, the tortoise won't even go near them. Put in a terra cotta saucer and the tortoise practically pushes you out of the way to get in it. I feed my adults on big fast food trays. They will eat just about anything I put on there.

You better go buy another one of those little pink bowls, in case that one ever breaks. :)

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I believe they are very intelligent. They have been around long enough :) the move was odd... Within an hour he was back in his table with all in the same position, Barr this pink dish lol. Just found it really interesting that for the first time since moving, the front feet were in... The noise was horrific and the dish was bare!

My friend has a bearded dragon that has to be hand fed, she has made him far too used to it and he won't eat any other way now....

And yes I'll have to invest in a job lot! He's a smart little man like his mummy :) (not a man, u know what I mean...) I associate pink with a nice glass of gallo. Presented with white red or pink after three weeks I still know what I would choose haha. In the garden he doesn't tend to nibble, but that will come with time trust and being comfortable. He will outlive me, he has plenty of time to learn...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts can be weaned off bad habits like hand feeding. It takes tough love. You have to only offer food in a pile and leave them to it. If they are hungry they will eat it, but it might take a few weeks.

Philip's fine, I wouldn't worry unduly, but if that dish ever breaks he might need tough love too! :)

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I don't worry, I've learnt a LOT from u all. Just let him be a tortoise relax sit back and enjoy the day to day :) the dish was an impulse buy as I walked past just out of pure curiosity. I'm sure in the future he won't give it a second look.
As for hand feeding im not sure how it goes with beardies, I've never had one but I'm sure the same tactics apply. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.