Merwin needs help 🙂

Shalom.21

Location (City and/or State)
Portland oregon
Hi everyone! My name is Shalom and I was able to bring home a class Tortoise pet for the summer. I was incredibly excited until I started doing research and realized that the poor Tortoise has been grossly mistreated. I only brought him home Friday and am slowly gaining knowledge. Merwin is a 7 year old Russian Desert Tortoise. He’s currently living in a glass tank (I have an enclosure on the way!) with bark chips, he was only getting fed once a week, no soakings and had a raised water bowl I think he can only drink out of when it is completely full. He was also only being fed sporadically. Here are my questions:

I’ve soaked him twice now but he acts like he just wants climb out of the glass bowl I’m using. Is that normal? Could my water temperature not be warm enough? I have been adding warm water during the soak and monitoring the water.
When the new enclosure gets here do I need to do anything before transferring him over? Is there any potential of shock? His current living situation is so poor I’m hoping he will just thrive in a new environment but I want to double check.
I have an outdoor covered pen he can go in but there is no outside source of heat beyond the sun - what temperature is it ok for him to be outside? Are there any signs to look for while he is outside to know if he is too cold or hot? I live in Oregon so when the sun is out it is beautiful but the overcast days feel cold.
Any other tips tricks are appreciated! I read through the “start here” and got a ton of great information, just want to make sure that I don’t shock this guy!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad you took him home. Try to not let him go back. Tortoises should not be a class pet as they never get treated right.
Use a different bowl than a glass one, one he can't see out. But he may still try to get out at least until he gets used to it
The temps at night can get into the 60' no lower than 60. I think if you can let him live outside at least during the day that would be best. If you build him a night box that you can shut him into at night then he could live out there until late fall early winter
The enclosure you ordered for indoors is like still to small for him. They need a 4x8 foot minimum. He will need a basking light, use an incandescent flood bulb and a tube florescent uvb. If your house doesn't get to cold at night in the fall/winter than night heat is not needed.
Feed daily and as much variety as possible. A clay saucer is the proper water dish.

Shalom.21

Portland oregon
So glad you took him home. Try to not let him go back. Tortoises should not be a class pet as they never get treated right.
Use a different bowl than a glass one, one he can't see out. But he may still try to get out at least until he gets used to it
The temps at night can get into the 60' no lower than 60. I think if you can let him live outside at least during the day that would be best. If you build him a night box that you can shut him into at night then he could live out there until late fall early winter
The enclosure you ordered for indoors is like still to small for him. They need a 4x8 foot minimum. He will need a basking light, use an incandescent flood bulb and a tube florescent uvb. If your house doesn't get to cold at night in the fall/winter than night heat is not needed.
Feed daily and as much variety as possible. A clay saucer is the proper water dish.
Thank you!! I forgot to ask if his shell should be smooth? He seems to have some raised cliffs

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Can you send pictures of everything (him, the enclosure, lights, etc).

It sounds like you may already have read this, but if not: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954 this will be a big help.

It really WOULD be good if you could talk to the school the conditions he is kept in. It also is something you should discuss with your parents because if you give him the right conditions, he may live a very long life, long after you leave home...

Photos of him for now will help us see in how bad (or good!) shape he or she is (if you include the tail we can probably tell you if its a boy or a girl)

Shalom.21

Portland oregon
Can you send pictures of everything (him, the enclosure, lights, etc).

It sounds like you may already have read this, but if not: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954 this will be a big help.

It really WOULD be good if you could talk to the school the conditions he is kept in. It also is something you should discuss with your parents because if you give him the right conditions, he may live a very long life, long after you leave home...

Photos of him for now will help us see in how bad (or good!) shape he or she is (if you include the tail we can probably tell you if its a boy or a girl)
It is actually the school I teach at, I had no idea the conditions until I came in for the summer and heard the poor guy just walking into the corner of his enclosure. I am figuring out next steps but just want to get him happy and healthy. His current enclosure is sad but the new one should be here tomorrow. I’ll add a picture of the new setup once it is here. Should his tail be out? He seems to always have it curled up.

Attachments

• IMG_4694.jpeg
    IMG_4694.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4699.jpeg
    IMG_4699.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4697.jpeg
    IMG_4697.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Ooof poor guy. If its any consolation I also work at schools and regularly battle this issue. Please lobby for him!

Yeah, he definitely had growth periods in not good condition. No they hold their tail that way, its normal.

I think Merwin may be Merwina, but I'll let others better than I determine that...

Know that as an adult they should have around 4 x 8' (think a bookcase turned on its side). One of those commercial "tortoise houses" that is 2 x 3' is still much too small tho likely better than what you have now...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
S/he has some very slight pyramiding but not bad at all. Keep soaking daily for a few weeks then you can back it off to once or twice a month.
Also try to get some humidity in the enclosure, 30-50%

zolasmum

5 Year Member
He looks sad - he hasn't realised that his life will- hopefully - change a lot for the better. He may be quite suspicious of change at first - he may be wary of new foods, but in time he will be much more trusting and relaxed. Thank you so much for helping him - in time he will also realise that you are helping him and making his life happier.
Very best wishes from Angie

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
It is pretty shocking that they were only being fed once a week, and probably the wrong diet too I imagine . You seem determined to improve things for this tortoise, so fingers crossed they can stay in your care longer than the summer.

There is a link to a care sheet for temperate species at the bottom of the thread SinLA linked you to - I wonder if it may be helpful to print this out for your school to evidence the unacceptable husbandry. As you say, it is mistreatment of an animal and certainly does not set the right example for the young people at the school.

Another forum member posted about a similar situation recently, and I believe they ended up becoming the sole carer for the tortoise.

Central PA
Ooof poor guy. If its any consolation I also work at schools and regularly battle this issue. Please lobby for him!

Yeah, he definitely had growth periods in not good condition. No they hold their tail that way, its normal.

I think Merwin may be Merwina, but I'll let others better than I determine that...

Know that as an adult they should have around 4 x 8' (think a bookcase turned on its side). One of those commercial "tortoise houses" that is 2 x 3' is still much too small tho likely better than what you have now...
i think it is a female as well

Amie.M

UK
Cute little tortoise, he’s lucky you rescued him.
I’m quite sure he’s male

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi everyone! My name is Shalom and I was able to bring home a class Tortoise pet for the summer. I was incredibly excited until I started doing research and realized that the poor Tortoise has been grossly mistreated. I only brought him home Friday and am slowly gaining knowledge. Merwin is a 7 year old Russian Desert Tortoise. He’s currently living in a glass tank (I have an enclosure on the way!) with bark chips, he was only getting fed once a week, no soakings and had a raised water bowl I think he can only drink out of when it is completely full. He was also only being fed sporadically. Here are my questions:

I’ve soaked him twice now but he acts like he just wants climb out of the glass bowl I’m using. Is that normal? Could my water temperature not be warm enough? I have been adding warm water during the soak and monitoring the water.
When the new enclosure gets here do I need to do anything before transferring him over? Is there any potential of shock? His current living situation is so poor I’m hoping he will just thrive in a new environment but I want to double check.
I have an outdoor covered pen he can go in but there is no outside source of heat beyond the sun - what temperature is it ok for him to be outside? Are there any signs to look for while he is outside to know if he is too cold or hot? I live in Oregon so when the sun is out it is beautiful but the overcast days feel cold.
Any other tips tricks are appreciated! I read through the “start here” and got a ton of great information, just want to make sure that I don’t shock this guy!
Welcome to the forum and fantastic that you have taken on the class tortoise and you will learn do much. Sadly many tortoise have tough lives. Soaking is great and assuming water is warm not hot then it may scramble simply because it is not used to it. I soak in the morning and start with shallow water in a high sided container for say 15 mins if it starts to climb the edges monitor to avoid flipping but let it carry on, consider it as exercise. Turn any bright lights off so it is a calm environment. I use a small toothbrush to rub gently around the shell to clean. When done weight and rub some coconut oil on the shell and return to its enclosure with fresh water and fresh food. Let it have peace and quiet. Hope that helps. Please ask questions as required.

Just to add
Also his beak is overgrown of you have a local reptile shop I suggest a visit for nail and beak trim.

Shalom.21

Portland oregon

Is this ok for her enclosure? It says with bark dusk

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Think this looks more for gardening. Let me search past posts as other USA members posted recommendations.

Here it is.......

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
This is what Tom recommends from Home Depot:

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TNLIANQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

but I suspect tom's is both cheaper and better
Snap! You beat me to it :) just posted link above

zolasmum

5 Year Member

Is this ok for her enclosure? It says with bark dusk
I don't think you want anything that says "dust" - no perlite, or similar white bits, as tortoises will eat them, and no sand or topsoil , which may have all sorts of mysterious things in it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Poor Merwin but thank you for trying to put things right. I hope s/he doesn't have to go back.
If you follow the caresheets linked carefully s/he should start to thrive.