Metro detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
metro detroit, mi
Just wondering if anyone is in metro detroit. I have a chance to get the male that was kept with my female at the shop. He was trying to mate with her so i was wondering if anyone from metro detroit would be willing to help out if i choose to do so.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. I don't live near you, but what ki d of help are you looking for. There are a lot of people that can answer any question you have.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
not sure, still deciding on if its a good idea. He needs a good home but idk if im up to having two when i just got her...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just so you know. They will have to be kept separately, otherwise he will pester her to death or illness, literally. It's always better in groups then pairs. If that helps in your decision. Good luck.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
Just so you know. They will have to be kept separately, otherwise he will pester her to death or illness, literally. It's always better in groups then pairs. If that helps in your decision. Good luck.

Wait, is this the Hingeback? If so, they do extremely well usually in pairs. But I am not understanding what kind of help are you needing from somebody in the area?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
wellington said:

Wait, is this the Hingeback? If so, they do extremely well usually in pairs. But I am not understanding what kind of help are you needing from somebody in the area?

Not really sure what kind. I guess I assumed Russian. That seems to be what most pet shops in Michigan and Illinois sells.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
Normally but i came across a hingeback...still not sure what kind. her scientific name is kinixys belliana

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
IggyBeans said:
Normally but i came across a hingeback...still not sure what kind. her scientific name is kinixys belliana

You found a female Bells???? *shakes head* some times I hate my life. :D Now I really want to see a picture! :D

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
aa6d6b6d.jpg
does that work?

ed06cd1d.jpg
this is her about a half hour ago.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, it works. They miss sold you that tortoise. It is a Homes hingeback, not a Bells.

Is she suppose to be a long term captive?

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
Im not sure about anything anymore...i was just reading the hingeback sexual differences thread and i now believe that shes a he...im so dissappointed... I really got attached to her being a her... At the pet store they had two, one of each sex and they said that the male was trying to mate with the female. They kept referring to the "male" as him and to mine as the female....bleck. But her tail looks exactly like the male picture did.

Also, i thought her shell looked a bit rough....

I went through and read Kristinas hingeback thread and found it super interesting. I also noted that the male v female pictures are differenct from the other thread i read. I guess im still trying to figure it out. She was bigger than the other tort in the enclosure and she does seem to be a she. Sorry if this is too much, im just a new owner thats trying to give my tort the best home possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.