Might have a new addition on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

Glad to hear she is there with you now. Can't wait to see her!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Glad that you were able to get the tort, I am sure it will be much happier now...

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Here are the pictures! I will post better ones later, and some to use to play the "sexing game".

6zr0px.jpg

wjxe87.jpg

357fxj5.jpg

35aipv8.jpg

rk0wnk.jpg

If it's a girl, I can name her Aurora (like the also very colorful Aurora Borealis). :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am sooo happy that she/he is with you now! Poor thing, she looks so scared! Now she is going to know what it is to live a happy tortoise life :tort: :D Congrats!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think she's a Texas tortoise. Can we see the plastron?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Aw she does look very scared. Poor mistreated thing. I'm glad she's in better hands now.
Love the name Aurora.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I know nothing about Texas Torts. What are the differences between them and CDTs? Where they come from? HAHA! ;)
Is it illigal to sell them as well?

I was initially thinking she looked a little different from my CDT... her face and legs.

I am very pleased with her enclosure! I built it all today, and only need to add grass and plants for consumption and shade! I also need to add a barrier from the green fencing around the air conditioner, and then she will be set to go.

She was walking around a little, but I disrupted her to get her pictures.
Male or female? Texas Tort or CDT?

BTW- I took the stringy white thing out of her mouth after the pics.-- I didn't notice it prior to taking them!

2zoktip.jpg

p7yht.jpg

6ixog8.jpg

9jmb00.jpg

ekgmpx.jpg

df7di0.jpg

In regards to her enclosure, it is right next to my new CDT yearling enclosure (the kennel enclosure in the pics), but they are NOT in there yet, so she is not butted right up to any other torts.

9q9yd1.jpg

kayl3.jpg

20aqbfl.jpg

317b7d4.jpg

efo2gm.jpg

2ry4meo.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, she has a nuchal scute, so she's deff. a desert tortoise. I guess she's just a small wild caught FEMALE tortoise! Except for the paint, she's a very pretty tortoise.

Your pens have turned out very nice.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
Well, she has a nuchal scute, so she's deff. a desert tortoise. I guess she's just a small wild caught FEMALE tortoise! Except for the paint, she's a very pretty tortoise.

Your pens have turned out very nice.

I had a feeling she was WC, when I first saw her picture on CL.
So, she IS female? And, what type of desert tort would you say? Texas still?

Any guess at her age?

THANKS! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. A Texas tortoise has a big empty "V" where the nuchal scute would be.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Congratulations to you and her for finding each other. She is very lucky and yes by the shape of the shell I would say it's a she also. She looks very healthy with everything she's went through. Thank goodness. :)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks Candy!

I had class today, so was not home much during the day, but I do not believe Aurora came out of her tort house at all. I checked her at noon before I left, and left her some lettuce at the opening of her house, but she was still inside. Around 4pm had somebody check to see if she came out yet, but she didn't. I got home around 8pm, and she was of course still in there.

I will be home all day tomorrow, so will be able to make sure she gets out, etc., and I will offer her more food, soak her, and see what's going on.

While she appears to be okay, she did seem a little sluggish (not really shy) yesterday, so I hope everything is okay and that she is just settling in. With the other person, she was eating lettuce (not sure what type), spinach, some cranberries, and store bought tort food. I left her a small pile of Romaine and Bok Choy this afternoon.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
What a nice home you have given her. She should be very happy there.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Aurora has not improved much this past week.

I make her a yummy lunch with greens, flowers, Mazuri, etc. and sometimes she only eats a few pieces of it... other times she does not touch it at all.

She is outside 24/7, and sleeps in her little house, so she usually comes out during the day to sit in the sun, but does not travel far from her house, nor does she explore around a lot. Also, she is usually all tucked up in her shell while sun basking, not sprawled out like a relaxed/happy tort.

I took a picture of her eyes when she was sleeping in the sun the other day, as they looked very puffy. I am not exactly sure what that indicates, but it did not look right. I will have to post that later, as I am on the wrong computer right now.

The person I got her from said she was active when she had her, but also said she fed her spinach, cranberries, etc., took her to the park, and did not leave food out for her (only fed her and let her eat when she was there with her, so Aurora would get use to her and be friendly). Right now, Aurora has weeds/some grass in her enclosure, but I also put food out for her daily. I am not withholding food from her. Oy...

I tried to soak her the other day, but she freaked out, so I have not tried again. She has a soaking dish though, if she wishes to go in to it.

My other adult CDT, Mojave, has been on antibiotic injections for a runny/bubbly nose, although they are still not working, so he will need to go back to the vet once again. I am wondering if I should give Aurora another week or so and then take her to the vet when I take Mojave in. (No, they are not housed together.)

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.