Might have a new addition on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Somebody is bringing over a CDT on Sunday, who they rescued from a family who let their kids paint, tie up, and dunk in water.

I replied to their CL ad where they were asking for $200 for him, letting him know it was illigal to charge a fee. He seems very nice, said he had just found that out, and is bringing the tort over this Sunday to check out my enclosures and other torts, and hopefully leave the tort here if he is statisfied.

He said he was able to get some of the paint off, because it was chipping, but there is still more left. He also said the tort is approx. 10 inches long.

Here is the ad and pic from CL:
"So I rescued this tortoise from a disgusting place, they allowed their children to tie him up, paint him, and dunk him in water. He was badly malnourished and barely weighed 4 pounds. Since I've had him he has been eating really well and is still getting back on his feet. he roams free in my backyard and sleeps in the house and roams my house when it rains, he is quite spoiled. I currently have another turtle and rabbit I rescued this time from the pound so I would like this tortoise (Mark) to go to a forever home. asking a rehoming fee of $200. please only contact if you have experience with Tortoises or other reptiles. I will lower the rehoming fee if I think you are just perfect for him."

9h5mqx.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor tortoise. Who knows what terrible things tortoises have to endure because kids and people are to hard-hearted or stupid to care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not a good idea. It is illegal to buy/sell desert tortoises, and even though passing the money in this instance would be more of a "thank you" than a price, it might be mis-construed as buying the animal. What if he should happen to mention to the wrong person that he got $100 for a desert tortoise. The fine is pretty stiff. Somewhere in the $10,000 range.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I hope you get him, the poor tort deserves a break!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Date wise, tomorrow might not work out, as something else came up he needs to attend, but we will shoot for another day if it does not.

As Yvonne said, no money should be exchanged, since it is in fact illigal to sell/buy a CDT. I think he is satisfied with that, so long as he gets to check out the new home of the tort (which is very responsible!).

You know what this means..... I need to go buy more cinder blocks and creat another enclosure!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank god he's going to you. Hopefully his next few decades will be filled with peace and yummy nutritious foods. Poor little guy...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'll never understand how people raise their children with no respect for animals. It's really shocking to me. How lucky you're getting him.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think he will he so thrilled for his tort to have a good home the money wont matter.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Poor tortoise :( I do not understand adults and parents sometimes...
I keep my fingers crossed, it would be AMAZING if the tortoise would live with you :) Please keep us updated!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
We had to re-schedule, as she had to go to a wedding (at an earlier time than she thought), BUT we are set to go for Tuesday at noon.-- Our schedules don't match up for tomorrow.

I just bought cinder block for his enclosure!
Will keep you posted!!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
He/she is here!!

I am not sure if it is a male or female, but (pardon my lack of proper terms) the part of the shell that is under the neck/head is smaller than my male's, who is about the same size as this tort.

She is very shy, and she either looks just terrified or she is still very malnourished. Her shell is very smooth for the most part, and is painted red, pink, and sparkly colors (I think there might be a little blue too). I haven't really examined her too much, because she just arrived a little over an hour ago, put took some quick pics I will post shortly.

I am just finishing up her enclosure, and will post pics of that too once it is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.