"Mighty Mint" Peppermint oil safe?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be careful with the Benadryl, it can make some dogs drowsy. I would not double or triple, I too was a vet tech and have seen the drowsy affect on dogs. The Benadryl though could help the itching but not the problem.
If it were my problem, I would do my first suggestion, wiping feet clean and applying an anti itch. Least invasive.
Dog food allergy usually would make the dog itch all over.
The DE could kill more than just the bugs you want to kill. Not sure the affect that would have on your grass. Once you watered it down though, any bugs that went deeper should be fine.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Brian

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA
I know it well. My Dad lived in Hemet and I'd exit the 10 east at Beaumont Ave, near that Baker's, and take Gavilan Road into Hemet.

We don't have no-see-ums or chiggers here. I can't imagine any bugs surviving in that grass in this heat right now either. Fleas don't survive where I am, and I can't remember them in Hemet either. Do you or friends or neighbors get fleas there? I can drive into a flea infested area, like Culver City for example, my dogs will pick up fleas, and then those fleas will die off in short order up here. Too hot in summer, too cold in winter, to dry all the time for them. I remember Hemet being that way too, but correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, the fleas are not likely to be biting your dog's feet. They get on the body and bite there, which can cause an allergic reaction which could cause the itchy feet.

I'm over in Santa Clarita. Same climate and weather. I've tried DE and it did nothing. I don't think it will hurt anything to try it, other than possibly killing all the insects in your lawn, including the beneficial ones, but I doubt it will do much.

I really think you need to look at allergy treatments. I have 30 dogs, and I'm constantly dealing with this sort of thing. My wife was a vet tech for 13 years, and a vet rep for Purina for another 15. We have a lot of vet friends. Try some Benadryl first. Its cheap and easy and it hurts nothing if it doesn't work.1mg per pound. The pills are usually 25 mg, so 2 pills for a 50 pound dog, 3 pills for a 75 pound dog, etc... There is a wide margin or error. I'm told by my vets that you could double or triple the dose without harm, so go on the high side. For example, if your dogs weighs 32 pounds, give two pills. Wifey says dose the dog twice a day.

We have several dogs that Benadryl doesn't work on and we get them Cytopoint injections from time to time, as needed. That stuff works great.

I am not a vet, but I am repeating what many vets and my vet tech wife have told me for decades. Feel free to check this with your vet, but given the advice you've been already given, I'm not confident you'll get a good answer. Maybe check it with a different vet.

You might also try switching foods. If the dog is on a chicken based food, try lamb and rice, or vice versa. Make any diet switches gradually.
Thanks Tom. Yep, that's the exit off the 10! It's a nice town but the winters can be on the cold side compared to most of So Cal.
What do you think it could be that's biting the humans? Even when wearing shoes and no contact with the grass is made, we are getting bit in the legs by something that causes a terrible itch. I guess DE would take care of anything it could be anyways?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. Yep, that's the exit off the 10! It's a nice town but the winters can be on the cold side compared to most of So Cal.
What do you think it could be that's biting the humans? Even when wearing shoes and no contact with the grass is made, we are getting bit in the legs by something that causes a terrible itch. I guess DE would take care of anything it could be anyways?
I have no idea what would be in the grass biting you. We get biting flies out here, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the grass. Put a rodent sticky trap out on the grass and stand next to it. Maybe the offender will land or climb into the glue and you can ID what you are dealing with.

As I said before, I've tried DE and it did absolutely nothing. I tried in on those little red fire ants we get, and the big red ants too, and I had white powdery ants walking around. I refreshed it several times and it did nothing to reduce the ant population. Maybe you have those little red fire ants in the grass?