Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is my new Gulf Coast Box Turtle, Millie, and her enclosure. I've had her for a month or so now. She loves roaches, but isn't to into her veggies yet. I think I might need to make up some of those mixed meatballs that Yvonne was talking about.

2j9zdz.jpg

14vpjx3.jpg

jb7pdc.jpg

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
Aw, she is beautiful! I love her name too.
Box turtles don't swim, right? Why are they considered turtles and not tortoises?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Hi, Millie.....

It was very nice to see you again, I am so glad you have a great home....

Thank you for the beautiful shots....

huggs and kisses

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
South FL Katie said:
Aw, she is beautiful! I love her name too.
Box turtles don't swim, right? Why are they considered turtles and not tortoises?

That's a good question. I know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise, but, other than guessing, I can't tell you the actual biological mechanisms that separate the too. Its like dogs and cats. They each have four legs, a tail, claws, fangs, eat meat, two ears, etc... Yet all know a cat from a dog, but how exactly do you determine it scientifically. Sometimes its anatomical features, like prominent skull characteristics.

Here's an example: The mountain lion is the largest of the small cat family at around 150-180 pounds. The leopard is the smallest of the large cat family at 100-120 pounds or so. Do you know the distinction? Big cats have no hyoid bone and can roar, but not purr. Small cats have the hyoid bone and can purr, but not roar.

Somebody out there has the actual anatomical definitions between the turtles and tortoises. Just not me. Its a generality the turtles are aquatic or semi-aquatic, while tortoises tend to be strictly terrestrial.

Thank you for exercising my brain.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
She's lovely! My gulfie will swim in a pond like an aquatic turtle! If Mille ever wants a date, let me know - I'm sure Floyd would love to meet her! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kimber_lee_314 said:
She's lovely! My gulfie will swim in a pond like an aquatic turtle! If Mille ever wants a date, let me know - I'm sure Floyd would love to meet her! :)

Oh my! She's much too young for that sort of thing! I'll give you a call in a few years.

M

Maggie Cummings

Kimber beat me to it...I was going to tell you Tom, that Gulf Coast box turtles love water and if she were mine I would create a bigger place for her to get in the water. They are box turtles but they are really aquatic...they swim really good and really enjoy it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
maggie3fan said:
Kimber beat me to it...I was going to tell you Tom, that Gulf Coast box turtles love water and if she were mine I would create a bigger place for her to get in the water. They are box turtles but they are really aquatic...they swim really good and really enjoy it...

Copy that. Will do. She really seems to enjoy her daily soaks. That must be why. She never wants to get out. I just bought 4 kiddie pools today. I'll set one up for her to sun and play in. I've got just the right size bowl for her.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a great hide! That looks like a big hollow bone...?

Millie is a great name, and I too would like to know which of her features make her "turtle" as opposed to "tortoise". :D

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I would say that the fact that she can close up completely inside her shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.