Misidentification

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
I posted a while back regarding american mallow. However, I believe the weed growing in my yard is in fact creeping mallow (Modiola caroliniana). would it still be safe for my tortoise to graze on? It has a few other names such as Carolina Bristlemallow. This website here says that it is poisonous to animals, but there is not much info on it. Wikipedia says it is in the mallow family.
these are the leaves and flowers
Modiola_caroliniana_plant4_%2814463896990%29.jpg

the leaves become more toothed near the top or the flowers of the plant (these are not my photos)
img_0243a-modiola-caroliniana.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Google says that's creeping mallow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most sites lump all the mallow together, giving me to think all of them are edible. None of my tortoises will eat mallow.

After reading your link, I don't think Carolina Bristlemallow is in the same family as the regular mallows we feed our tortoises, which is Malvaceae family.

EricW

Houston, TX
In the Mallow family, but not the Mallow genus. Not sure if safe, it is technically edible by humans according to sources, but usually used in combination with other things to make tea.

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
My garden produce the same stuff. My leopard and burmese star eat it if given the choice but I need to make sure it's safe