Misinformation that needs to be countered:

Kipley

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
I see this person on FB posting this crap, and too many people believe her.
Any science to counter this misinformation?

"Regular soakings are actually detrimental. Warm baths speed up the digestive system, causing the tortoise to miss out on vital nutrients from their foods and dehydrating them by making them go to the toilet too often. If these hard urates are a one off don't panic, if they continue try some Cucumber to boost hydration, and rinse the food before giving it so there's water on it still
I look at the science of it, that speeding up their slow metabolism is impacting negativity."

"when you say hatchling I hope it's at least 3 months old as they shouldn't go before then, if not 6months. I personally would never soak a hatchling daily, for the same reasons. They have even less reserves to pull on and it's important not to speed up their metabolism or toileting"

All these new tortoise owners are listening to the woman like she is an expert. It worries me.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

"Regular soakings are actually detrimental. Warm baths speed up the digestive system, causing the tortoise to miss out on vital nutrients from their foods and dehydrating them by making them go to the toilet too often. If these hard urates are a one off don't panic, if they continue try some Cucumber to boost hydration, and rinse the food before giving it so there's water on it still
I look at the science of it, that speeding up their slow metabolism is impacting negativity."

"when you say hatchling I hope it's at least 3 months old as they shouldn't go before then, if not 6months. I personally would never soak a hatchling daily, for the same reasons. They have even less reserves to pull on and it's important not to speed up their metabolism or toileting"

All these new tortoise owners are listening to the woman like she is an expert. It worries me.
Sadly, I don't think it's worth trying to change the minds of the people in most FB groups... better just to find a more reasonable group.

Lots of people here on TFO, myself included, have been kicked out of multiple FB groups for voicing opinions contrary to the admins or even just other members of numerous groups on FB.

It's frustrating, but a fact of the times that people are perfectly comfortable elevating their own thoughts or opinions to the level of fact and shouting down anyone who dares disagree with them.

If you brought a list of reputable references supporting soaking, they would most likely just give you a link to some crackpot website, or simply ban you from the group... save yourself the time and hassle and just find a better group.

Jamie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to go on there and argue the point that she is wrong. That many years have gone into getting it right in raising tortoises and that this forum, tortoiseforum.org has that correct information.
Let the reads know that they are listening to someone that has not done the home work like many on this forum has.
Then tell them to at least look at the info on the forum so they can actually make a correct judgement call.

TisMary

New York

You could ask her to cite her research sources - bet she won't, but it might shut her up (probably not). It's a tough call whether you want to wrangle with this person or not. On the one hand, you probably want to just slap her; on the other, you despair that you'll ever get her to change. Unfortunately, it's the animals who suffer. The best you can hope for is that someone looking at your post will think twice about what you've said and come here.

If you decide not to take her on, I wouldn't blame you one bit. If you do go for it, ask yourself "What's the worst that could happen?" and prepare for that - anything else you can handle. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

That's old school thinking. It's not new. I've heard it before too. It's reasonable to assume correct if you allow such a long soak that the tortoise empties his bowel, however, I thought the nutrition absorption happens further back before the food reaches the bowel.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Honestly, I've tried with the Facebook lunatics running those tortoise groups, don't waste your time. Unless you like beating your head against the wall.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I would at least try to tell her nicely and if she kicks you off at least you tried. It won't be like she actually kicked you it's just words. And a difference of opinions. If she actually wants truth she would want to hear an opposing opinion. It really helps to look at pros and cons.?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Try this...

I soak my tortoises every day since they day they first hatch. Normally 30 - 60 minutes every day! I will show you want that does.

Soaked daily since hatching:
smooth sulcata tortulas len.jpg

Soaked Daily since hatching...

IMG_3376.JPG

Soaked daily since Hatching...

IMG_0018(1).jpg

Soaked Daily since Hatching...

IMG_1098(1).jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

Mt3 June 2 2021 (2).jpg

leopard smooth.jpg

Now let's see some pictures of your tortoises!

Attachments

• leopard smooth.jpg
    leopard smooth.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 15

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Try this...

I soak my tortoises every day since they day they first hatch. Normally 30 - 60 minutes every day! I will show you want that does.

View attachment 332124

View attachment 332125

View attachment 332126

View attachment 332127

View attachment 332128

View attachment 332129

View attachment 332131

Amen. And by the by you have some beautiful torts ???

Jan A

Boulder, CO

You run into that everywhere. It's why a lot of us start here for our info & stay. Once you've been here awhile, you'll understand better. Stay awhile, read, kick off your shoes. There"s always something doing here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Ask her how many hatchling tortoises she's raised using daily soaks and warm humid monsoon conditions. When she says "zero", ask her if she'd like to talk to some people that have raised 1000s that way, and her way too. A simple conversation would be able to demonstrate how wrong she is and why, but I doubt she's willing to have that conversation. Tell her Tom from the tortoise forum wants to talk to her about this. I won't be rude or insulting. I'll just explain it to her and back it up with evidence.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Try this...

View attachment 332124

View attachment 332125

View attachment 332126

View attachment 332127

View attachment 332128

View attachment 332129

View attachment 332131

This is probably the best way to get through to them. Show success and ask for their proof!

Fatnhappy

Oklahoma City
Try this...

View attachment 332124

View attachment 332125

View attachment 332126

View attachment 332127

View attachment 332128

View attachment 332129

View attachment 332131

WOW!! Beautiful babies!!
Try this...

View attachment 332124

View attachment 332125

View attachment 332126

View attachment 332127

View attachment 332128

View attachment 332129

View attachment 332131

WOW!! Your babies are gorgeous! Would you mind showing a bit more of your habitat? It looks amazing and I'm still trying to get ours just right.

Diane771

5 Year Member

Are you a vet? I agree with the young tortoises but not for the mature ones

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
WOW!! Beautiful babies!!

WOW!! Your babies are gorgeous! Would you mind showing a bit more of your habitat? It looks amazing and I'm still trying to get ours just right.
I use good closed chamber style enclosures. I was so frustrated nothing was available I always built my own. Over the years they continued to improve until I have what I build now. My passion is find ways to constantly learn and improve tortoise husbandry, so I decided to build and offer for sale these enclosures. Go to my facebook page - Smart Tortoise Keeper - to see the details.

TurtzInMyYard

AL
That's old school thinking. It's not new. I've heard it before too. It's reasonable to assume correct if you allow such a long soak that the tortoise empties his bowel, however, I thought the nutrition absorption happens further back before the food reaches the bowel.
Actually, no Yvonne, it happens in the small bowel, where most of the nutrients and water from diet are absorbed, at least in humans. Is it different with turtles?