Missing nails

xiaosi01

Location (City and/or State)
Singapore
Dear tortoise lovers, my Indian star has also 2 nails missing from his front leg! I have no idea what really happened. Seems it was chopped off or something? Or infection? I’m worried. But he is eating well so far just walking a bit limping now. Can see that area is a bit sore and pain when walk. I believe there was blood but already dried when I notice it. Can anyone advise what should I do or what really happened? Will his nails grow back??

Attachments

• IMG_7838.jpeg
    IMG_7838.jpeg
    939.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7478.jpeg
    IMG_7478.jpeg
    742 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7322.jpeg
    IMG_7322.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7832.jpeg
    IMG_7832.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7837.jpeg
    IMG_7837.jpeg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7831.jpeg
    IMG_7831.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dear tortoise lovers, my Indian star has also 2 nails missing from his front leg! I have no idea what really happened. Seems it was chopped off or something? Or infection? I’m worried. But he is eating well so far just walking a bit limping now. Can see that area is a bit sore and pain when walk. I believe there was blood but already dried when I notice it. Can anyone advise what should I do or what really happened? Will his nails grow back??
This looks like it could be rodent damage. Is your tortoise indoors and protected at night?

xiaosi01

Singapore
This looks like it could be rodent damage. Is your tortoise indoors and protected at night?
I don’t think so. My tortoise is free to walk in the day inside the house and is back to his tortoise house evening time. No rats in my place. His bedding is also very clean.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don’t think so. My tortoise is free to walk in the day inside the house and is back to his tortoise house evening time. No rats in my place. His bedding is also very clean.
Is the tortoise house closed? Post a picture?

Do you have a dog? A cat?

The tortoise should not be free roaming loose on the floor. This is not safe and can't be made safe.

xiaosi01

Singapore
Is the tortoise house closed? Post a picture?

Do you have a dog? A cat?

The tortoise should not be free roaming loose on the floor. This is not safe and can't be made safe.
No cats or dogs. It can walk freely in the turf and also inside the house. But will put back to its house late afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_7864.jpeg
    IMG_7864.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7865.jpeg
    IMG_7865.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No cats or dogs. It can walk freely in the turf and also inside the house. But will put back to its house late afternoon.
This not a suitable way for a tortoise to live. It needs a proper enclosure and shelter. Check this out:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
put chlorhexadine on his feet/nail bed untill they look like they are healing ..... growing back depends on the reason and what damage was done to the nail bed ....... i got a turtle one time that had all his nails "rotted" off from what i assume was a bacterial infection , about half her nails grew back ...... damage could be from trying to dig in something that can't be dug , regardless i'd use the clorhexadine to prevent an infection....jmo

xiaosi01

Singapore
Noted. But do you know the reason why? And will his nails grow back?
put chlorhexadine on his feet/nail bed untill they look like they are healing ..... growing back depends on the reason and what damage was done to the nail bed ....... i got a turtle one time that had all his nails "rotted" off from what i assume was a bacterial infection , about half her nails grew back ...... damage could be from trying to dig in something that can't be dug , regardless i'd use the clorhexadine to prevent an infection....jmo
Thank you @mark1 , I have already cleaned his wound with wound cleaning solution. Hope for the best.