Missing tortoise

Babbymint

5 Year Member
My 12yr old Hermans went missing yesterday - I'm completely flummoxed.
I have two - they go outside into a very secure pen and come in at night for a bath and bed.
Yesterday, went out to get them about 6pm and could only find one. Searched everywhere in the pen - could not find her. Left it overnight and thought the lovely sun this morning (Im on south coast England) would get our up, but no sign yet.
So:
1. She has escaped - she is in a secure pen - cant find any way she could have gotten out. They have had the same pen for years.
2. She's been stolen - its a secure garden, in which I was sat a lot of the day and indoors the rest
3. She has buried herself really well - but why hasn't she got up?

Can someone give me hope - I'm really upset.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most are usually found, so keep looking every day. When the sun first comes out and starts to warm things up is the best time to look. If you have close neighbors inform them about the missing tort. Also inform local rescues, vets, and even put signs up.
When found and returned, please give them their own enclosure if they don't have it now. Living as a pair is very stressful for them and can cause illness or death.

Babbymint

5 Year Member
Most are usually found, so keep looking every day. When the sun first comes out and starts to warm things up is the best time to look. If you have close neighbors inform them about the missing tort. Also inform local rescues, vets, and even put signs up.
When found and returned, please give them their own enclosure if they don't have it now. Living as a pair is very stressful for them and can cause illness or death.
She has been found - must have found a great hiding place! They have a very big enclosure and completely ignore each other. I am very relieved!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She has been found - must have found a great hiding place! They have a very big enclosure and completely ignore each other. I am very relieved!
They are not completely ignoring each other. Each one knows the other is there and it is very stressful for both. There may not be overt biting and ramming, but it is definitely not okay with either of them. The pen could be 10 acres and this would still be a problem. They should never live as pairs.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Glad she was not lost. She could be trying to get away from the other one. They do not like each other. This is just a fact with reptiles. Being kept in pairs is unnatural for them and stresses them out.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
My 12yr old Hermans went missing yesterday - I'm completely flummoxed.
I have two - they go outside into a very secure pen and come in at night for a bath and bed.
Yesterday, went out to get them about 6pm and could only find one. Searched everywhere in the pen - could not find her. Left it overnight and thought the lovely sun this morning (Im on south coast England) would get our up, but no sign yet.
So:
1. She has escaped - she is in a secure pen - cant find any way she could have gotten out. They have had the same pen for years.
2. She's been stolen - its a secure garden, in which I was sat a lot of the day and indoors the rest
3. She has buried herself really well - but why hasn't she got up?

Can someone give me hope - I'm really upset.
Great you found it!