Mississippi Map Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Hey, I have been given two mississippi Map turtles that are about 2-3 years old. I have presumed that one is a boy and the other is a girl - Nikki and Pete! (how do i tell)

I just wanted to make sure that i am looking after the properly. They are fine and look happy enough. The only thing i worry about it a kind a brown scum on their shells which a brush off with a soft brush, does any one know why this happens?

What size tank do they need to be in? They have a docking station (out of the water) a strip light and a heater that is submerged in the water. Is this correct or should they have more lighting.

I feed them pellets that i get from the pet shop. The pet shop says that this is all they need but when i look on the net i notice that other people give them a more varried diet? What else could i give them.

Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure i am doing alright by them.

Thanks for your time

Mel - :shy:

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
You should get a heat lamp for the dock area so they can warm up if they want to. They need more then just pellets, Depending on age babies eat everyday, adults every other day. They need worms, crickets, etc plus lettace & veggies etc. use a toothbrush to scrub there shells to remove the brown scum, what size tank do you have and what type of filters? You should have 10 gallons of water for every inch of shell for the first turtle then an additional half for the second. They love to swim and need the room, Plus it helps to keep the water clean. Here is a caresheet for them http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-mississippi_map.htm We love pics.. And welcome to the forum.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Hey Thank you both for your information. Very usefull!

Dont want you to think that I just havent looked after them properly. I get the turtles from someone who was just gonna leave them in a house cos they were moving so as you can imagin they didnt tell me much and just said that if i wanted them i should take them. Being an animal lover I couldnt leave them! I dont think they have been looked after cvery well.

I have measured them both one is 5 inchs and the other is 4 inches. So what size tank would i need. At the moment the tank is 24 inch long and 14 inch heigh. I dont think this is big enough. I want to go and get all the stuff this weekend so sorry for all the questions.

Will any lettuce be ok? also what veg could i give them. should i feed them these things on the dock or in the water?

Thanks again every one

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You should give them 10 gallons per inch, so the minimum would be 90 gallons.
They will only eat in the water, so you need to give them the food in the water.
Map turtles aren't big vegetable eaters, so if you can get them to eat the lettuce that would be great.

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If you have the room I would suggest a kids swimming pool or a cattle tank. They will get large (6" for males and 10" for females). They are primarily carnivorous and adapted for eating clams and snails, so if you have access to these or bait shrimp that would be great. My ouchitas live on bait shrimp, pellets (both turtle and trout chow), rosy reds, and some greens such as collard. They need a basking area, UV B, and good filtration. I keep mine in a bare tank (no substrate) as that makes cleaning easier. Enjoy them as the are good hardy turtles from temperate area.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have a 125 gallon tank and when it was setup for the water turtles, I had three filters, a fluvel canister filter and two internal cascade filters. I put the fluval in the middle and the cascades on each end and up towards the surface of the water so they could keep the water circulating. The canister filters can be pricey, but you really want good filters and I always buy bigger sizes that way the water stays cleaner. They were great and I didn't have to do water changes as often. when buying plan on the fact that if you do have females they will get to 10" and require a 100gal tank for one. that way you can buy what you would need for the future now instead of having to buy more again. The tanks Larry is talking about are neat, I've seem some nice setups using them. Have you determined if they are M or F?

Status
Not open for further replies.