MITES!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Why would a blood sucking mite come in on moss? It just doesn't work that way........Ticks are different, but Mites die in a relatively short time period if they cannot feed........

I've had many Tortoises come and go - And not one have had Mites........Springtails are white and they run fast, along with the many other little insects you get on any other substrate except for newspaper........Point blank, an Ectothermic mite will pop red, and will be double the size of the period at the end of this sentence........

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
...i dont know if they are springtails... they were sooooo tiny like 5-10 would fit in---->(.) that little period...and the bigger ones didnt look quite like the pics they were more shiny..... i dont know ....im torn if i really clean out krakens tort table completly or just leave it...i dont really have the time to clean it all out but will pull n all nighter again if i have to....like i said i didnt think springtails would be all over the torts.... but if this is just springtails i dont want to go through allllll the work to scrub 50lbs of big rocks and getting all the substrate out and scrubbing it all down resoaking new peat moss to be moist and then redecorating.... i havnt even packed for gonig out of town yet....i guess they were a little longer looking than the pic i posted but they were soooo small i cldnt tell and yes they are kinda fast

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
i decided not to clean out krakens substrate and just leave it and watch it for the next cple weeks after we get back to town...i guess u guys are right there is no way they could really be mites...not to mention they seem more like the springtails in description.. so thanks every1 for the tips and words of advice i guess im just a over reactive tort parent! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.