Mixing diff species

LoveMyZeus

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Ok silly question and I'm sure I reasonably know the answer... We have a 4 inch (not sure of his age) hermann tort, we just bought a huge 4ft x 3ft penn plex cage and we were wondering if a baby bearded dragon could join him, there is more then enough space for the 2.. And they are both small.. I've read article after article and even though it's "frowned" upon, there is lots of success stories if introduced young. Is there anyone that has introduced these 2 at a young age?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
It's not just frowned upon. It's really discouraged not to do so. Just for arguments sake, let's say that there is a 90% chance everything will be ok. That leaves a 10% chance that something could happen to either one or both of your animals.

I don't know about you, but I like to give my animals only the BEST possible outcomes.

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
I completely agree, 10% chance wouldn't be worth it... I just figured see what others thought, since the new cage for my hermann is gigantic... But you are right.. Not worth it lol.. We do put them on the floor together while we are supervising... But mostly they ignore each other lol

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I completely agree, 10% chance wouldn't be worth it... I just figured see what others thought, since the new cage for my hermann is gigantic... But you are right.. Not worth it lol.. We do put them on the floor together while we are supervising... But mostly they ignore each other lol

Glad you agree, besides tortoises love to wander. So the bigger the enclosure the better. However, while we are on the subject of what's the BEST for them. I highly discourage letting both of your reptiles wander on the floor. Again, I can use the 10% argument for this situation. It's not the safest, even under supervision. If you don't believe me do a quick search on here. Many tortoises have died, while being supervised. I recommend a safe outdoor enclosure instead.

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
Lol, yes I'm aware of the dangers of being on the floor... He is still young and little, we have a great outdoor "enclosed" pen for the nice days, but here In NC it's too cold, hense why we bought the 4x3 ft indoor cage.. However when he does go on the floor we make sure of it being safe and supervised ans we put a sheet down... He loves to push his ball around... So once a day for like 30 mins we set it up and we sit there with him. I'm very aware and have read of the dangers, so we make sure it's safe!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And 4x3 is not "huge" in any way. In fact, it is under the minimum size that I recommend for Hermanni. Yours is still young, so it will be fine for a while, but you'll need something bigger. I like 4x8' for indoors and even bigger for an outdoor enclosure during fair weather.

This should help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
He is 3-4 inches as of now!
Yes obviously this will be good for awhile and then we will move on to another cage, like we just did, he had a 3x3 when we first got him as an hatchling!!!!!!!
(I don't like you "assuming" I haven't researched)
And not to mention we have an enormous (prob 10x15) fully enclosed outdoor pen, for when it's warm!

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
This was his "temp" cage that he first had as a 1-2 inch babyimage.jpg
Yes obviously this will be good for awhile and then we will move on to another cage, like we just did, he had a 3x3 when we first got him as an hatchling!!!!!!!
And not to mention we have an enormous (prob 10x15) fully enclosed outdoor pen, for when it's warm!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

If those are your enclosure sizes, then you are doing better than 99% of the people keeping tortoises in this country.

I made no assumption of your level of research. You gave me no reason or info to make any judgement of what your level of research has been, and I have no reason to make any assumptions about it one way or the other. I intended no offense, just sharing info.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He didn't assume anything. He gave you a link. If you researched the internet, you got a lot of bad info along with some good. Besides, although you already got the answer about putting the two together from several other places, you still asked if it could be done. You put your tort on the floor, which was also suggested not good to do, but you have a reason why it's okay. So, do you have a temp gun to shoot the temp of the floor? Your house temp could be set at 72/75, but it will be colder on the floor unless you have floor radiant heat, which means your tort and lizard are also going to be cold.

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
Sorry but it seems that since I've joined (an hour ago) and the few questions I've asked, my responders have made me feel "uneducated" in their responses! I don't know everything, but have researched a lot, especially with my lil traveling hermann.. I want to make sure his living environment is adequate for him. This 4x3 penn plex tortoise palace is def just a Stepping stone until he needs his final home. Which we are looking into having a huge tortoise table built. But for now this is all i have to offer. Along with my outdoor pen (former chicken run) but we fixed it so he can't dig under or get out or have a predator get to him :)

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
Yes I'm aware and it's only for 30 mins or so as I stated.. I also stated that I put down a sheet or quilt, to ensure he can't eat anything off floor and lastly, my daughter and I sit on the floor (I would never leave him alone) he has a ball that he loves to push around, that's why we put him on the floor.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
I'm sorry everyone... Am I missing something? Why are y'all being rude and judgmental.. Especially whoever just posted that Star Trek picture!!!
I thought this forum was to ask questions... Excuse me if I asked a DUMB ONE! Thank you all for making me feel like a piece of s**t!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We mean no offense. You are new. We have no idea what you do or don't know. Much of the info out there in the world is wrong. We are just trying to take this opportunity to make sure you've got the right info.

Our tone is helpful, not judgmental or degrading in any way.

That thread I linked for you starts off with me admitting making many of those mistakes myself. Then it says that the thread is intended to help, not insult. Just click on it and read a bit. It addresses all the questions you asked here.

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
Ya well whoever just posted that pic, really made me feel like a F'ing piece of crap!!!!! Bully points to him!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry everyone... Am I missing something? Why are y'all being rude and judgmental.. Especially whoever just posted that Star Trek picture!!!
I thought this forum was to ask questions... Excuse me if I asked a DUMB ONE! Thank you all for making me feel like a piece of s**t!

YOU ARE MISINTERPRETING OUR WORDS!

We are a lighthearted fun bunch. Grandpa is attempting to lighten the mood with humor.

90% of the people that come here thank us up one side and down the other for helping them and their tortoises. About 10% take it the way you are taking it. Grandpa is making light of that. We are a community of friends. We joke around sometimes. You are welcome to join us and have some fun too.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

Relax, these are just words your are reading. They can be misinterpreted. Try reading them in a more helpful, friendly tone.

The picture was intended for Tom, not you. It's sort of an inside joke. It is in no way meant to be offensive towards you.

LoveMyZeus

North Carolina
Well for one, I myself am a jokster.. If y'all even knew!
I'm new and didn't understand that you guys all communicate often, for all I knew I was being ganged up on a bunch of weirdo strangers!
I do have lots of questions.. I'm a dog groomer so I take pride in my 4 legged babies.. Especially Zeus because we haven never had a tort before.. This lil guy/gal is seriously hilarious and entertaining.. So I want the very best for him... So I'm sure I'll have many more questions... For intense I have no idea if Zeus should be a Zeucy or a Caitlin Jenner... Or how old he/she actually is ...