mixing tortoise??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
slidell, la
Is it possible to mix two baby sulcata and one red foot together they are all baby and going into a 75 gallon tank

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Depending on the dimensions of the tank and the actual tortoise size, yes to the redfoot in the 55 alone. Most tanks have the problem of not enough usable floor space and wasted height area. You also need to keep in mind this question: can you offer a varying heat level in any tank, box whatever you are thinking to use? Second question is simply: Is there room for all the "furniture" (hide, water and food dishes, ect.., ) plus still leave the tortoise room to roam? I agree with the no on the mixing them question.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Definitely do NOT mix them. Different diets, different habitat needs, different temperments, etc.

I would actually turn the 55-gall on its side to provide more floor space. Get one set of the glass tops that fit the 55-gal, and use one panel on each side as a "litter guard" (you can either glue it or velcro it). Then find a way to hang a tube florescent UV light on one side of the opening, and a heat lamp on the other.

This is what I would do, if I had a 55-gal and no other options.

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
I just met a person that mix sulcata leopard red foot together and they look perfectly fine and they been together for 15 years

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
rickyn0792 said:
I just met a person that mix sulcata leopard red foot together and they look perfectly fine and they been together for 15 years

I just saw on TV a guy who has been freehandling venomous snakes for years, and he hasn't got bit...yet.

I speed every day on the way to work and I haven't got caught...yet.

All it takes on one crash, one moment, one pathogen, etc...to destroy that 15 yrs of ignorant bliss.
-----
Personally, I value my animals too much to take the risk.

Please stop trying to rationalize. You came to this site full of genuine tortoise enthusiasts who love and respect these animals. You asked for our opinion and you got it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
rickyn0792 said:
There are always exceptions to every rule, I wouldn't risk it myself.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:
rickyn0792 said:

I just saw on TV a guy who has been freehandling venomous snakes for years, and he hasn't got bit...yet.

I speed every day on the way to work and I haven't got caught...yet.

All it takes on one crash, one moment, one pathogen, etc...to destroy that 15 yrs of ignorant bliss.

Sadly, those days happen to quite a few some where a long the line.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
rickyn0792 said:

As the other members said above, it's a matter of risk. A tortoise from one species might infect another from another species, or he might not. Just as you don't always catch a cold by touching a door handle, you don't always get sick torts by mixing species. The risk is there, however. For that reason, mixing species should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.