Modifying my will

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
I am going to make an appointment with my attorney to have my will updated. It hasn't been updated in almost 15 years, and I have a new-ish grandson I'd like to add as a beneficiary, as well as a ton of new assets my wife and I have acquired since our last update. Among these assets, of course, is my sully "Ghost". Assuming he will outlive me, I'd like to make sure he is cared for. I do not know anyone else with tortoise / turtle experience. How would you recommend I address Ghost? I assume at least a handful of folks here have been through this before.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just "matter of factly" told my step daughter that she's going to get the house....And some animals with it.
But make sure you leave some instructions in writing in case the animals must be sold. At least they'll know what to do.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'll modify my will to include provisions for Darwin; I've already made them for our dogs ... people, money, backups and contingency plans.

I'll very likely reference TFO as a source of references and people to all about Darwin, past, present, and future, in terms of feeding and enclosure.

Jamie

daniellenc

Maryland
I just "matter of factly" told my step daughter that she's going to get the house....And some animals with it.
But make sure you leave some instructions in writing in case the animals must be sold. At least they'll know what to do.

Exactly what I did lol. I told my two whoever gets the house gets the tort lmao. I’m lucky both kids adore him but until they’re older I’m not sure who gets the house or who will stay in the area as adults. Right now my will has all assets split 50/50 between both kids. They’re 17 and 14 now but with their dad having terminal cancer and owning a home as well three houses down from us I will be consolidating two homes soon and have to reassess.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I'll most likely have my PR offer my tortoises to the breeder friends of mine who I bought them from first. After that, any left can just be sold on the market. I will have quite a few by the time I kick the bucket (got 26 now and already adding 15 more next summer). I am not married and have no kids so I would leave my house and other personal property to my parents and my younger sister, but none of them are interested in tortoises.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
She may be new to the TFO, but @KAGDR has experience planning for birds, dogs, and other animals who might outlive her. I would be interested to hear if she has any thoughts.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I'm trying to remember where I've run across it (online, I think), but someone left instructions that the local herp society was to be consulted so they could place the tortoise in a good home if a friend or family member could not take it.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I'll most likely have my PR offer my tortoises to the breeder friends of mine who I bought them from first. After that, any left can just be sold on the market. I will have quite a few by the time I kick the bucket (got 26 now and already adding 15 more next summer). I am not married and have no kids so I would leave my house and other personal property to my parents and my younger sister, but none of them are interested in tortoises.
Maybe you could adopt TechnoCheese or a couple of the other younger members on the TFO, to be your "heirs." ;) Someone you could leave the entire breeding operation to continue... :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What happens to my tortoises after I die is going to be the problem of my tortoise partner in San Diego, that is, if he outlives me. I seem to just keep going and going, like the pink rabbit in the commercials.