Moist substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm wanting to switch my now 2" hermanns on to just Eco-earth for now. The only thing I'm worried about is that it'll be moist throughout for a few days. Night time temps drop to about 70 degrees. Do I need to be worried about respiratory infections from the moist substrate if I do this or should it be ok?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If its moist and cold, then yes. 70 and moist is too cold. If you are using a brick that you have to hydrate then put it in the over to dry out after hydrating it.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Do you have to switch it all out at one time?

If you switch one half the gives the tort a choice of the older, drier substrate or the newer more moist coco coir.

Another idea is to use a CHE for evening heat.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
aidenb said:
I'm wanting to switch my now 2" hermanns on to just Eco-earth for now. The only thing I'm worried about is that it'll be moist throughout for a few days. Night time temps drop to about 70 degrees. Do I need to be worried about respiratory infections from the moist substrate if I do this or should it be ok?
No, 70 degrees with a moist substrate for a Hermann's tortoise is not a problem. As long as the substrate is not wet, just moist. You can tell by taking a handful of the substrate and squeezing it. If any water runs out at all it is much too wet. If when you open you hand the material holds it's form somewhat with only a little crumbling the moisture content is good. If when you open your hand the entire material crumbles completely flat it is too dry.
Also, 70 degrees at night (especially warmer) is too warm for Hermann's tortoises on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.