mold in tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

brennh24

5 Year Member
I just bought a baby Florida box turtle and noticed a little bit of mold growing in his tank... His tank hasn't even been up for a week yet... I'm worried he's going to get sick... I removed the mold do I need to clean the entire tank? And what would be causing the mold? Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Mold is caused by excessive moisture coupled with not enough fresh air exchange or air flow. Mold spores are constantly present in the air but in order for it to take hold and grow they needs mositure and a food source. In a set up like an animal enclosure there are typically many food sources such as leftover food, feces and even small unseen debris in the substrate or soil itself.
An increase in air flow helps to decrease the dampness level. Churning (mixing) the substrate frequently will also decrease the excessive dampness within the substrate. Doing both will decrease the opportunity for mold to grow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi brennh24:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Florida box turtles are one of my favorite box turtles. What type of substrate do you use? I just use regular dirt for my box turtles, and I spot clean daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.