Mold problem!

T0rtug@

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I noticed that my tortoise enclosure has developed mold on the cool end of the enclosure. I wanted to snap a picture of Mr. Turtle as this is the first time I've seen him use his hide and I noticed there is mold inside the hide and on the the top of the coco coir surrounding it. Why does this happen? How can I prevent it? How do I fix it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58

T0rtug@

5 Year Member
Illinois
This is the rest of the enclosure if it helps!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
There's a spider web on the food rock :p!
Your coir looks really really wet. When you pick it up and squeeze, does water drip out?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You're keeping it way to wet . The top should be dry but if you dig down a little it should be moist .

T0rtug@

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yes, it's wet enough that water will drip if I squeeze it. I though coco coir didn't allow mold! Thanks for your responses.

Louise C

Edinburgh, Scotland
My coco coir gets a fine white hairy mold on it where it has touched any pellets that my tortoise has walked around from his feeding dish. The coco is dry on the top and just a bit moist under. The mold grows in the period of 5 hours and I have to clear it morning and night as a routine when I change his food/water. I put it down to whatever is in the pellets rather than the coco but it is annoying as Pedro is such a messy eater I have to check everywhere.

T0rtug@

5 Year Member
Illinois
What is the temp on the cool end of the enclosure?
When I posted this the temps were:
105-110 under the light (depending on how high or low the lamp was)
warm side 90-95
cool end in the 80's
at night my temps were dropping to the high 60's-low 70's.

I have since installed a CHE and my temps remain the same during the day and at night I keep it at 80

T0rtug@

5 Year Member
Illinois
Were you keeping the substrate at that same moisture level before you made the change?
I should have mentioned that I was keeping the substrate extremely wet. I drained as much water as I could on Saturday as well. Now I'm keeping the top layer dry to were it gets a light tan color and under that layer its still moist.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I should have mentioned that I was keeping the substrate extremely wet. I drained as much water as I could on Saturday as well. Now I'm keeping the top layer dry to were it gets a light tan color and under that layer its still moist.

Good then. Now, the white funky stuff could actually be something generated by that pot....more than the substrate....especially since it is spread out as it appears in the pic.....I bet after the enclosure dries up a bit more--the fuzzies will subside....

T0rtug@

5 Year Member
Illinois
Good then. Now, the white funky stuff could actually be something generated by that pot....more than the substrate....especially since it is spread out as it appears in the pic.....I bet after the enclosure dries up a bit more--the fuzzies will subside....
I hope so. I did remove the pot, but I still am using a terra cotta saucer for his water. Im keeping a close eye on it. I have improved his enclosure by now!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I hope so. I did remove the pot, but I still am using a terra cotta saucer for his water. Im keeping a close eye on it. I have improved his enclosure by now!

Yes..the forever fixing of the enclosure...we humans find it hard to have a few moments of satisfaction before we are at it again huh??? lol.