Status
Not open for further replies.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
We noticed mold coming up the insides of our enclosure. We moved samson into a temporary plastic tub. We took the enclosure outside, removed all the substrate (coco coir) and the bottom was covered in mold. We will have to replace the bottom piece of wood, however we would like to keep the outer walls if possible. How do we get rid of the mold and keep it from coming back?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would put it out in the sun. Scrub down with hot water and let it dry in the sun. The sun will kill the mold. When all dry, seal it with a wood sealer.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
If you want something quick. Just line the inside with something waterproof like pond liner, vinyl, or a shower curtain. If you decide to use a wood sealer you'll have to let it air out for sometime before it will become safe for Samson

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Try cleaning it with trisodium phosphate (TSP) with a little bleach mixed with it, you may be able to save the bottom, if it's not completely shot. Then protect it with something water proof.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The way I treat mold safely is to get a bottle sprayer and fill it with water. Add one teaspoon of pure teatree oil (you can get that at any Walgreens or cvs pharmacy). Spray the whole area and wipe dry. No more mold and it's totally safe. I would maintain the enclosure with a few squirts from time to time.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
thanks for all the suggestions, will let you know what works!

Status
Not open for further replies.