Mold treatment with Concrobium fungicide spray

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta NY
Found this online today and was wondering if anyone else has used this to kill/prevent mold in their closed chamber. The video on home depot web site says it is 100% safe for humans and pets. Would take the torts out until it was dry still. Any info would be appreciated.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't know anything about this, but I'll give your thread a bump!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you are having a mold issue then your enclosure does not have the correct air exchange going on....I would not use the chemical to fix something that you can simply fix by proper air exchange....

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I used that stuff in my basement after we had a flood due to sewer backup (yuck!). I don't think I would use it inside an enclosure though!

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
It says it is 100% safe even in food areas. I read somewhere that the sales rep actually drinks it to prove it is that safe. I did use it in the closed chamber and let it dry for 3 days. Then sealed it again with water based polyurethane and let it cure for another week. I kept the tortoises out of the enclosure and room for that matter the entire time. They are back in and doing well. We will see if the mold comes back. Does anyone have any other tricks or tips to keep mold from growing in a closed chamber with high humidity? It seems funny that some people never have mold and don't even seal the plywood enclosure.

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
If you are having a mold issue then your enclosure does not have the correct air exchange going on....I would not use the chemical to fix something that you can simply fix by proper air exchange....
Thanks for your input. You still have to kill the mold right? What would you recommend for air exchange? From what I am gathering from Tom's closed chamber is that you want to reduce the exchange with the room air. I could open the doors for a short time while they are outside if you think that would help. Please clarify what you mean by proper air exchange. If there is too much air exchange it will be impossible to keep the humidity high. Thanks in advance

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So when you feed the tortoise, when you change the water out, when you bring the tort in and out for outside natural sun time...these are all opportunities to leave the top open, life half way, to allow for the air exchange.....I do not mean leave the top open for long periods of time but would suggest doing so with these short events...

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
So when you feed the tortoise, when you change the water out, when you bring the tort in and out for outside natural sun time...these are all opportunities to leave the top open, life half way, to allow for the air exchange.....I do not mean leave the top open for long periods of time but would suggest doing so with these short events...
Thanks for the clarification. I think my initial problem was that I had not properly sealed the wood. I redid everything and sealed with silicone. I have been doing what you suggested already. I was just trying to stay proactive and was wondering if anyone else had suggestions for mold prevention. I hope I will not need to fight with mold anymore. It has been almost a week and no mold.