Mold?!

Tortoise76

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So i started noticing mold in my tortoise tank by the water and food. I didn't think much about it and just took it out. But now it is growing like crazy. I have commented on another thread of someone else's for mold and i decided to make my own. I already have enough problems with having to get his enclosure right and safe for him and now this is happening. It is white and fluffy but turns black after a while on the top leaving a white center. I am really worried that this will cause a lot of harm to him if he eats it. I am at school most of the day and no one else is able to make sure he doesn't eat it. I don't have pictures right now because i removed without thinking to take a picture for this but i am sure it would grow back so not to worry on that. Is this a real emergency, i really want him to be ok.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Can you take pictures of your tank? That way we can see if anything in your enclosure is causing it.

Also, what’s the enclosures temperatures? What substrate are you using? We need a lot more info along with the pictures.

Ben C

Pittsburgh
Guys, sorry I'm new to this. I'm really curious about this mold and I hope it's resolved, but how do I post a new thread? I can't figure it out.

Tortoise76

Florida
Sorry about the tank being a mess i need to clean it but the light bulb is a 100w reptile bulb which i turned off for the photo because of glare and the substrate is loose coconut fibers (coco coir im sure you know) and you can kind of see some mold by the food and water.

Attachments

• 20180119_215009.jpg
    20180119_215009.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 98

Tortoise76

Florida
I am sorry if the set up is very very bad. I am new to this and that's the reason i'm here right now. The food looks like its not alot because my tortoise flattened it and messed it all up. But hey not every picture can be pretty.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Your tort’s enclosure is way too small. They need a minimum of 8’x4’.

What are you feeding it? Also what substrate are you using? It could be the face that there’s food mixed into the dirt that’s molding, could be the substrate, could be poop that’s not cleaned up.

Tortoise76

Florida
Yeah i know the enclosure is small i have another thread telling me everything I need to fix. I am feeding him collard greens and mustard greens with squash and occasional carrots. I was also told to give him a more varied diet. His substrate is eco earth coco coir in the bag not the block even though its pretty much the same stuff.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Looks like you don't clean the food out, which can cause the food itself to mold. Just make sure all food pieces are cleaned out.

Tortoise76

Florida
Looks like you don't clean the food out, which can cause the food itself to mold. Just make sure all food pieces are cleaned out.

So make sure no food pieces are mixed in with the substrate? Also stated above i need a minimum enclosure size of 8’x4’. Do you know of where i can acquire such a thing. And even if i can get a hold of one i don't have any clue as to where i can put it. My room is quite small and i doubt my parents would want it anywhere else so how should i go about getting the right enclosure if i am limited with space.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
So make sure no food pieces are mixed in with the substrate? Also stated above i need a minimum enclosure size of 8’x4’. Do you know of where i can acquire such a thing. And even if i can get a hold of one i don't have any clue as to where i can put it. My room is quite small and i doubt my parents would want it anywhere else so how should i go about getting the right enclosure if i am limited with space.
Create your own enclosure with a few tubs. You can connect them with tunnels and you can then work around corners, thereby using less intrusive space but still giving your tort plenty of space and making it interesting. There is another thread on the forum called two tub enclosure where you can see they made their enclosure using tubs.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

Yeah, I would personally just change out all that substrate and replace it.

How large is your tank now? Usually for adult tortoises the pet companies don't sell anything large enough to accommodate them...so a lot of us have to make one or have someone else make one for us. You could have a double-decker enclosure to save space, or have him outside if you have a backyard and get some fencing.

Tortoise76

Florida
Well does it have to be that size and how would i do a double decker. And i don't really want him to be outside because then i would need to have a top to the enclosure because of predatory birds and i have raccoons by where i live. I don't want to make this whole thing that would be expensive considering i wouldn't be the one paying for it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well does it have to be that size and how would i do a double decker. And i don't really want him to be outside because then i would need to have a top to the enclosure because of predatory birds and i have raccoons by where i live. I don't want to make this whole thing that would be expensive considering i wouldn't be the one paying for it.
For your torts health and happiness it is best to give them at least the minimum size. Remember the motto bigger is better. If you do do a double decker just make sure that you have decent railings so that your tort can't fall off. What are you currently using as your enclosure?

Tortoise76

Florida
For your torts health and happiness it is best to give them at least the minimum size. Remember the motto bigger is better. If you do do a double decker just make sure that you have decent railings so that your tort can't fall off. What are you currently using as your enclosure?

There is a picture above in one of my comments. It is very small but its a exo terra enclosure. But it can't even be like a 6 x 3 ish enclosure because i am very limited with space and i don't necessarily know how to do a double decker.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
There is a picture above in one of my comments. It is very small but its a exo terra enclosure. But it can't even be like a 6 x 3 ish enclosure because i am very limited with space and i don't necessarily know how to do a double decker.
Then try creating an enclosure with a few tubs and a shower curtain to make it enclosed. Go and look at the thread called two tub enclosure and have a look at what they did. It actually looks really nice. And I don't think it is too expensive.

Tortoise76

Florida
I checked it out and it was pretty cool and doesn't look to expensive. It doesn't seem to take up that much space either. But i do have to ask one thing , do you know what gallon tub that is or what would be good because i don't want to buy the wrong size because i'm not good sure what is good.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I checked it out and it was pretty cool and doesn't look to expensive. It doesn't seem to take up that much space either. But i do have to ask one thing , do you know what gallon tub that is or what would be good because i don't want to buy the wrong size because i'm not good sure what is good.
Try go for the biggest one you can find which is not too expensive and at least two of them. You create an L shape with the two tubs in the corner and it makes it interesting for the tort.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Try go for the biggest one you can find which is not too expensive and at least two of them. You create an L shape with the two tubs in the corner and it makes it interesting for the tort.

Tortoise76

Florida

Ok thanks now the hard part is convincing my parents to buy bins for this little "project" and i suppose arranging my room in a way to fit it would be difficult as well. Luckily my brother said he might take the bookshelf i don't really need any more. That should clear some space.

Alaskamike

South Florida
We haven’t said much about the mold. One way to combat this is to clean out the water dish daily , & always remove food & feces from day before.

The water dish should be level with the substrata. They do drag stuff into it , but no matter when it’s cleaned daily.

At times even the dollar stores have the plastic bins. Just remember it’s not the gallons that matter , just the floor space.

You will be fine. All the suggestions are just to help.