Mold?!

Tortoise76

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We haven’t said much about the mold. One way to combat this is to clean out the water dish daily , & always remove food & feces from day before.

The water dish should be level with the substrata. They do drag stuff into it , but no matter when it’s cleaned daily.

At times even the dollar stores have the plastic bins. Just remember it’s not the gallons that matter , just the floor space.

You will be fine. All the suggestions are just to help.

Ok thanks and do you think i should get a water bowl with shorter sides to get it level or is what i have good just add more substrate

Alaskamike

South Florida
It’s probably just fine. As long as the tort can get in & out w/o problems. If sibsrata is not deep enough to get it level you can add more. Or you can get a terra-cotta plant saucer at any Wallmart that has shorter sides. They are cheap.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
FYI – tortoises can get sick from mold. Not to worry this can happen to anyone. You need to take everything out of the terrarium, and disinfect the terrarium and water dish with a bleach and water mixture, or food grade hydrogen peroxide (30%). (The peroxide is not the one you get it the grocery store or Walgreens.) After disinfecting the tank and water dish, rinse them thoroughly. Then put in new substrate. That usually gets rid of it. I usually would gently rinse off the tortoise, as well. Good luck

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok thanks now the hard part is convincing my parents to buy bins for this little "project" and i suppose arranging my room in a way to fit it would be difficult as well. Luckily my brother said he might take the bookshelf i don't really need any more. That should clear some space.

If the book shelf is big enough, you could always rip out the shelves and lay it on its back. Instant tortoise table!