Monitoring daily temps in South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn , NY
Ive been keeping an eye on local temperature and weather in South Africa the last few weeks so to see how my tortoises natural habitat would be. I mostly monitor Cape Town and Pretoria. Was wondering if anyone else does this with their own tortoises area of the world or region in which they live in the wild? I find it so interesting and informative.

EKLC

5 Year Member
It's pretty cold over there today. I like to go to wunderground.com and type in the country name, then they'll show a list of the current temperatures in all the cities where they measure it. elevation really dictates the temperatures in a lot of african countries

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is fun and all, but Cape Town is much like Los Angeles. You can drive an hour in any direction and have drastically different temperatures and weather conditions. In summer we drive from Santa Clarita where its 115, over to the beach, about an hour away, and the temperature there is in the low 70s. It can be 80 at my place and an hour to the northeast it's 100 in the desert or 55 in the mountains. One thing that was striking about South Africa to me was the huge variety of microclimates and different weather in areas that were fairly close to one another.

Just throwin' that out there.

P.S. I watch the weather in six random cities across sulcata territory. Same thing I guess. Still, I enjoy it.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Santa clarity gets not, and the valley, I'm on the ocean about 7 miles away we have moderate temps almost all year round

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one then...seems like such an amazing part of the world...I keep my temps according to what I've learned here on the forum but still was shocked to see such different temperatures and weather patterns as you have stated Tom. My fiancé and I have a South African safari on our to do list.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh that will be awesome. PM me before you go and I will tell you some secret spots to hit.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Tom said:
Oh that will be awesome. PM me before you go and I will tell you some secret spots to hit.

I will take you up on that thank you....we were looking at Kruger National park

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Monitoring your tortoise's 'local' climate is a lot of fun, but remember that the microclimates they actually live in are very different than the weather stations that are reporting the stuff. Just because they report that it is 89F and dry does not mean that the tortoises in the area are out and running around in that, and so on.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Madkins007 said:
Monitoring your tortoise's 'local' climate is a lot of fun, but remember that the microclimates they actually live in are very different than the weather stations that are reporting the stuff. Just because they report that it is 89F and dry does not mean that the tortoises in the area are out and running around in that, and so on.

No I absolutely agree ...i do it more to observe the vast differences in temps in that region but not to attempt to mimic them. I keep my tortoises temps as I have been taught to and learned on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.