Monsoon storms in AZ what do I do for TANK?

Noelnicholas

Hello everyone..... again I am fairly new to being a mom to Tank so I may have alot of questions....... This week in PHX it is supposed to rain all week. Today we have such a huge storm that it ruined tanks house and my husband found him trying to hide under a tricycle.... :( So my husband put him in the garage while it was storming (with food and water). What should I do for Tank. I do not want to keep him in the garage if it is raining during the day while we are at work because i do not want to deprive him of the sun rays that do peek through. Todays high was 86 and the low tonight will most likely get into the 60s. What should I do until we repair his house and get some heating set up for him??? ( sorry so lengthy) Thank you in advance for any and all advice. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
How big is tank? Missing a few days of sunlight won't hurt him. I saw the news report about those storms, pretty scary! I would just set up a nice cozy spot in the garage for him for a few days. To me it would not be worth the risk of keeping them outside where he could drown. Good luck and stay safe down there.

Noelnicholas

He is aboyt 30 lbs...... you think the garage would be safe? I was even thinking about setting up a tent....

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Personally I would hit homedepot and get wood make a toetoise box for him, be is big so of course this sotuation would be temp. For when the storms pass. After the storms I would think I ways to make it where he can stay out. Maybe make a good hide that will stay dry and keep wind and all that out and won't flood. Make high areas on your enclosure so he can get out if it does flood. The temps are actually not to bad it's fairly warm. Temp enclosure in te garage maybe easiest.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you mean a tent over the enclosure or a tent to put him in? She could walk right thru a tent I'm sure. Maybe put him in a large stock tank? I really don't know, I hope some sulcata people will chime in really soon to help you.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It is plenty warm out and might get down to 69 if we are lucky, all my tortoises weather the storms outside. If their shell can protect them from a lion, I don't worry about rain.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've read this about 4 times . I to live in Phx . AZ , I have multables of torts ranging in sizes from 3 in . To14 in . What is it you want to see happen ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
And my phone says our lows for the next 5 nights the lows are 73- 79

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Basically for now just do something temporary and then next week rebuild the enclosure in a flood proof way if at all possible. You can spend this week researching it :) I don't mean to make light of it just know that he will be fine in the garage for a few days.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
you think the garage would be safe?

Just tort proof it...30 pounds of tenacious tort proofing...I would also set up a basking light somewhere in the garage...this way there will be a warm concrete space for the tort to rest on so he does not get cold from the concrete....and when you do the remodel...just keep in mind that an elevated house is essential in areas prone to flash flooding as you are....

Noelnicholas

I've read this about 4 times . I to live in Phx . AZ , I have multables of torts ranging in sizes from 3 in . To14 in . What is it you want to see happen ?

When I looked at my weather report it said lows from 67 to 69..... sorry if I was misinformed, did not mean to cause confusion. As far as what do I want to see happen... I was just asking for advice on whether I should keep him out side, or if he was safe in the garage.... again I am very new to the ownership of a tort, and I read conflicting things in articles I was reading.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
See there are a lot of factors . One is with all my adult pen I dug out about 4 ft deep filled then about 2ft with rocks and lumber and then put the dirt back in the hole to make like a dry well so I don't worry about floods
And a person told me if I'm comfortable with out a coat then my tort is comfortable .

Noelnicholas

That makes sense. Thank you.tonight my husband started to build him his new house. I will tell him what you did for yours. Thank you

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I keep mine in her shed when it pours (like, torrential I wanna die now so I don't have to drown rain) and she is perfectly happy with misign a couple days (here it usually lasts far more) of sun, and she almost always has the option to go out if she wants.