More advice please.. (Mazuri)

Chasen

Location (City and/or State)
Galveston
So,,, my little one likes the mazuri and since I worry about his progression into a healthy thriving Leo, I have a question. I am soaking the pellets to make a soft mush, but wonder if there is an ideal consistency? Should it be more crumbly or mushy? Feeding pre packaged diet is a new concept for me as I've never had to do it before. BTW, thank you all for the words of wisdom and to this forum for the proper advice given.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I chop up greens then add the moistened Mazuri. I mash the Mazuri with a fork so that it's smaller than crumbs. Then I stir it into the greens until it's all mixed together well.

A total diet of Mazuri may be ok, after all, we feed our dog food the same old kibble day in and day out, I just don't like the idea of giving the tortoise only Mazuri.

@Will ??? @Markw84 ???

Chasen

Galveston
I chop up greens then add the moistened Mazuri. I mash the Mazuri with a fork so that it's smaller than crumbs. Then I stir it into the greens until it's all mixed together well.

A total diet of Mazuri may be ok, after all, we feed our dog food the same old kibble day in and day out, I just don't like the idea of giving the tortoise only Mazuri.

@Will ??? @Markw84 ???
Thanx, I still give the greens, just wondered if the consistency made a difference.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My mazuri is fully soft but I don't mush mine up. I feed it to an 8 month old 1-2 times a week as one of his daily meals of which he gets 3 and two 7 year olds as an added meal every other day to go with their daily grazing.
It gets fed more in the winter months.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When I fed my large group, I wet my Mazuri and mashed it in a large bowl with a boiled potato masher into the consistency of mashed potatoes. Often adding some sort of fruit. Then it would stay in the refrigerator until it was all gone.
Now, most times j just toss in whole, dry pellets into the pen.
If the animal is big enough, Mazuri doesn't require moistening at all.
Super watery will give watery poop.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I feed my RFs Mazuri al dente. In a cafeteria tray with a little water in the bottom I let it soak a short period of time. I believe a hard center helps keep their beaks in shape.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Mine likes it chopped up and sprinkled over the greens. The consistency is more or less granulated. After sprinkling over the food, I give it a couple of shots from my water bottle to make it adhere to the leaves better.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I feed my RFs Mazuri al dente. In a cafeteria tray with a little water in the bottom I let it soak a short period of time. I believe a hard center helps keep their beaks in shape.

Yep, thats what I do as well. Started our Sully off with very softened Mazuri, but now really any way is good and gobbled. I can offer in the hard form or a bit wet, either way - gobbled. I think the hard nuggets do help with good beak maintenance.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Which Mazuri should I feed my leopard? Can somebody post a picture of the bag? I know one is better, but which one and how large of a bag do I need? l want to make sure I get the right one. By the way, I have a 4 month old (70 g and 3.25 inches). Thank you in advance!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The L.S. is called type 5M3A.
The "regular" stuff is type 5M21.
If your tortoise will eat it, that's great. The ingredients are superior.
However, all of my tortoises have turned their collective noses up at it.
Mazuri is NOT required as a food. It's more of a convenience thing. It's also very easy to administer medications, etc with it all mixed up and mushy.
If you buy too much, store what's left in an airtight bowl or container with a lid, preferably in the refrigerator.
I've kept it in a hopper, at room temperature (73f) for extended periods and got a plague of moths that seemed to hatch out of it. But it never got so stale or funky that my tortoises didn't gobble it up.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
The L.S. is called type 5M3A.
The "regular" stuff is type 5M21.
If your tortoise will eat it, that's great. The ingredients are superior.
However, all of my tortoises have turned their collective noses up at it.
Mazuri is NOT required as a food. It's more of a convenience thing. It's also very easy to administer medications, etc with it all mixed up and mushy.
If you buy too much, store what's left in an airtight bowl or container with a lid, preferably in the refrigerator.
I've kept it in a hopper, at room temperature (73f) for extended periods and got a plague of moths that seemed to hatch out of it. But it never got so stale or funky that my tortoises didn't gobble it up.
Thanks for the input! It's very much appreciated!

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Yes. And we're all thankful for that. I've been reading all the posts for leopard tortoises starting way back from 2007 and boy did they have a lot of bad info. Lol From substrate to temperature to housing two tortoises together. I'm waiting for the regulars to make their debut. So many young tortoises died because of lack of knowledge.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes. And we're all thankful for that. I've been reading all the posts for leopard tortoises starting way back from 2007 and boy did they have a lot of bad info. Lol From substrate to temperature to housing two tortoises together. I'm waiting for the regulars to make their debut. So many young tortoises died because of lack of knowledge.
We all learn from failure and success.
Luckily, it's all captured here on this forum. So the next generation of keepers can have fewer failures.
(But only if they take our recommendations)

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
We all learn from failure and success.
Luckily, it's all captured here on this forum. So the next generation of keepers can have fewer failures.
(But only if they take our recommendations)
Oh, trust me. I'm taking any and all recommendations. I don't care if you guys are harsh on me either. It's for the tortoises health considering they can't speak for themselves. Every day I'm learning and if I don't know, I'm reseraching and then asking questions if it wasn't answered in the forum. I'm very happy that this exists.