more Ellis Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Yvonne asked to start this thread again, so....this is how it started. A snowy day with not much to do, I went into the site Ellis Island.com. I found my Dad's records. They showed a picture of the ship that he came in on. Sept. 27th, 1910. He was 14 years old. His Father came here first with another son, and every time he made some money he sent for another one of his family. I found it so moving that he was only 14 and came here all alone. I though of how scared he must have been, not speaking any English, and not knowing if anyone would be there waiting for him.
On the manifest, they asked questions like: How old are you...14....how much money do you have...$20.....who gave you this money...my Mother...who will you be staying with ....my Father. etc.
They even had his health records. I found my Mom too. She was 6 months old, when she and her family came here, and moved on the same block that my Dad lived on, and came from the same town In Italy. My Dad used to baby sit her, because he was 14 years older than she was. They fell in love and got married. He worked in a factory, and did gardening on the side. He never got help from anyone, and yet, we owned our own home. He was so proud of that, and now I now why. He fought in WW 1, and was so proud that they allowed him to fight for this country. After seeing this, now I can appreciate the man that he was ....so kind, so appreciative of all that he had, and so proud of his home and his yard that he worked endlessly at making it so beautiful. So proud that we never had to buy fruit or vegetables because he grew everything himself.
One thing I forgot to tell in the last thread. He smuggled in a little piece of a root of a grape vine that he had in his yard in Italy. I never knew this, until my sister told me. I do remember a big grape vine in our yard, that he used to make wine with a neighbor, and we always had grapes on our table too.
This was a wonderful and moving find, and if anyone has relatives that came from another country, please look up the records on EllisIsland.com. You won't be sorry. Seeing the manifest, the ship, and questions that he answered, were one of the most moving experiences for me.

chadk

10 Year Member!
What happened to the other post??

***oh, i see it was accidently deleted****

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Thank you for sharing the story again! The bit about the grape vine is very interesting as well!
I mentioned this in the last thread (cough Josh cough ;)) but I went to Ellis Island last summer and it was incredibly interesting. I can post pictures if anyone is interested. (anything to keep me from doing my work! ;))

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I visited Ellis Island on trips to New York as well. It's like visiting the Smithsonian museums, that are free, that are OURS. The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are US. They are AMERICA, and I get goosebumps and tears when I visit places like that and think of all the people who left everything they were familiar with, most of everyone they loved, far behind in the Old Country to come to America and start a new life, with hopes of freedom and prosperity...I think of them seeing the Statue of Liberty for the first time from the deck of the ship that brought them across the sea, and seeing Ellis Island, the gateway into America. I think of all the hopes and fears they must have had--a small but significant number of them would be rejected due to illness or disease, and some had to stay on the island for awhile waiting for their parents or other relatives to recover from illness so they could move on...to their new home, full of hope and promise. :)

It's just so cool to be a descendent of these people; my dad's dad and my mom's grandparents all came here from foreign lands, and they all fulfilled their hopes and became prosperous and well-educated (which was another prominent goal of my family both then and now). :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My Dad used to tell us stories about the ship he was on. He told us that when they saw the Statue of Liberty, everyone stopped talking, and it was so quiet. He saw men and women crying and he got scared, because he didn't know why they were crying, so he started to cry too, out of fear. Then some lady told him about the Statue of Liberty. He never knew that it was real. But mostly he remembered how quiet it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.