craigslist scammers education

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston Area, Texas
My teenage son sells moss (weeds, green stuff?) that he grows in an aquarium. He posted an ad on craigslist and was contacted by a scammer. Thank goodness he's been educated about scammers and has a keen eye for bull crap. He recognized it for what it was right off. I'm so proud of him!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, give...tell us more. I thought you were going to educate US on these scammers.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I know. There's sooooo much I've yet to learn about these interesting beings known as scammers! This thread is such a letdown. :(

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Did they ask to send a money order way above the accual asking price? I had an CL add for a Crome Roll Bar for a Toyota Tacoma with a matching toolbox. the guy tried to send me a Money Order for $200 more than I was asking and ask that I send the balance to a totally differant Person at a totally differant address (Differant State as well). When I got the Money order (He told me AFTER we had settled on a price) and contacted him about it He got all pissy on me so I sent him back his Money Order... it came back to me as "Un-Deliverable" about 3 weeks later.

I HATE SCAMMERS! :(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Typical craigslist scam that I see trying to sell or buy something is people who can only text or email. They claim they have lost the ability to speak, or are reclusive and don't like to speak with people.

Most craigslist scams can be uncovered with a simple phone call, or an offer to meet or speak face to face. I'm sure there are other scams that go beyond that...this is just what I've experienced.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
This wasn't craigslist but it may have been a scam. My husband sent an email to a company in China to inquire about a product and price list for these parts he wants to import and sell. He got an email back from a girl at the export company where he was addressed as Dear handsome Mike. She also sent a picture of herself and was asking him a lot of personal questions. While he found it funny, he was pissed because he didn't get the product and price list. He was like.. I want cameras.. not a mail order bride. :rolleyes:

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
Some typical aspects of scam emails that we see:
Like it or not, poor english. The kind of poor english that makes you laugh.
The person is ready to buy whatever you are selling sight unseen.
As Zamric said, someone that wants to send you MORE than what you are asking for. They'll ask you to deposit it, and send them the overage.
Anything that seems too good to be true probably is. Lots of scammers use descriptive words that seem over the top. "I find the item that you recently posted on craigslist AMAZING and I would like to pay the FABULOUS price that you are asking"
Many of the scammers that are based out of the country go out of their way to inform you that they are from your country. "I see the wonderful item that you are selling on craigslist. I would like to pay the very fair price that you are asking and will not try to get you to lower it. I am from the United States and will send you a cashier's check that I assure you is real."
If someone emails you about "your ad" and offers you a job, it's pretty much not going to be real. Posting an ad about selling a tortosie should not get you a job offer, lol.
I scoured my email just now for a couple of examples, and all I had was a bunch of unsolicited emails. Job offers "easy and you can do it from home". Help with stalkers "someone has been watching you, and we can help".

As Neal said, lots of them will have some reason that they can not speak to you.

And as far as Kerryann's experience, that happens quite a bit. A weird email with some strange romantic quote from a book. Usually strange because they have all of the words out of place. You can email them and find LOOOOVE, because they have been watching you for a while. Maybe I can refer the "stalker email" people to them?

Anywho, that's been MY experience with scammers, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.