More Fall photos

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
It’s still unseasonably warm in NY so we’re outside enjoying it!
IMG_1010.jpgIMG_1013.jpgIMG_1016.jpgIMG_1017.jpg

My tortoises love the leaves, each year I pile them into the enclosure for enrichment.
IMG_1033.jpgIMG_1030.jpg

Keeping them inside during cold weather means I’m constantly battling shell rot. While cleaning Rafiki up today I noticed how colorful she is not only on her neck but also her armpit and kneepit!
IMG_1026.jpgIMG_1022.jpgIMG_1027.jpg

We’re having fun, hope all you are too!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
That is a ton of color! Leaves are nice too.

Lemonhead made a colorful baby that I was lucky to get my hands on! Mimosa (first photo) is cranking too. Rambutan produced that gem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice pics. It's been beautiful here too. Looking good so far until next week Wednesday. The longest my leopards have been outside I think. Gotta let them enjoy every second of it. They sure look like they are enjoying the sunshine and leaves

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Nice photos. You can't beat good old dried leaves for a torts pleasure. All of ours spend hours rummaging when we throw piles of leaves in.
It's unseasonably warm here too because we had warm winds from a hurricane that past through Ireland. It's crazy.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
They continue to look amazing. You need a colorful male now!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Nice pics. It's been beautiful here too. Looking good so far until next week Wednesday. The longest my leopards have been outside I think. Gotta let them enjoy every second of it. They sure look like they are enjoying the sunshine and leaves

Yes, the weather looks warm through early next week here too! Though I’d like some cold nights for Bowhunting.

@Anyfoot
Mine love burrowing in the leaves! It’s fun to watch and I enjoy being able to enrich their enclosures so easily each Fall.

@CharlieM
I’m still toying with the idea of a male but I think it will be a while yet. If I do take that plunge, I’ll be looking for a yellow cherryhead; something like Allegra’s Phoenix ( I think that’s one of her yellow ladies?). A yellow male would make for some interesting hatchings, I think.

N

no one

Thank you for posting these lovely pictures. I still enjoy the leaves too. I never get to old for that. Funny torts!!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Totally punked the husband and showed him the pics. Told him we might be able to get our hands on them as I know the owner. He fell for it and had to laugh when I revealed the truth. He was quite happy to see how they have grown so nicely and colorful. Backfired on me-now he wants to keep all of the hatchlings and see how they grow.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Totally punked the husband and showed him the pics. Told him we might be able to get our hands on them as I know the owner. He fell for it and had to laugh when I revealed the truth. He was quite happy to see how they have grown so nicely and colorful. Backfired on me-now he wants to keep all of the hatchlings and see how they grow.

That's very funny. Thank god you have enough room.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York

I wish all my posts were used for this type of shenanigans! I feel so accomplished. Thanks for the laughs and the compliment!

Good luck with all those hatchlings; you’re making your spouse a hoarder!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s still unseasonably warm in NY so we’re outside enjoying it!
View attachment 220879View attachment 220880View attachment 220881View attachment 220882

My tortoises love the leaves, each year I pile them into the enclosure for enrichment.
View attachment 220883View attachment 220884

Keeping them inside during cold weather means I’m constantly battling shell rot. While cleaning Rafiki up today I noticed how colorful she is not only on her neck but also her armpit and kneepit!
View attachment 220885View attachment 220886View attachment 220887

We’re having fun, hope all you are too!

I think we are all enjoying the longer Summer. Thanks for sharing updates!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
@Redstrike Do you use calcium/D3 powder and if so, how often?

Yes, but I don't use D3 (though I have in the past and may start providing it again while they're inside for the winter). I use regular ol' calcium powder 1-2 times/week and lightly (put it in a salt shaker). I also tend to use Sticky Tongue's "Miner-All" more often than just the Ca powder. It's berry flavor and I generally put it on their fruit.

Most of the time they have a cuddle fish bone in the enclosure and I allow them to self-regulate their Ca intake.

In the past I used liquid D3 with Ca powder but found it messy and haven't gone back to it. The tortoises don't seem to suffer any from it. Vitamin D3 is fat soluble and my tortoises have a pretty healthy fat supply... I suppose they metabolize their D3 from storage and the UVB light in their enclosure?