More housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamstortoise13

5 Year Member
Hey everyone...this is my last housing thread (hopefully) so all my decisions need to be final before I purchase my Russian. My only problem is I spend the summer in new Hampshire and I rarely go home. My plan is to buy another 54 gallon tub to keep my Russian in. The thing is it is pritty warm here so I figured this spring I will build a custom enclosure for him out side...my only question today is do you think it is ok for my Russian to spend the night in the 54 gallon tub even as a 5-6 inch adult (I'm getting a male)? I figured I would build a nice big enclosure for the sunny days here which are almost all of em. Also I need some help with my out door enclosure, which I was wondering if I could have a bottom to reduce the risk of him digging his way out. I know they like to burrow so I'm a little puzzled...Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, you can have your tort sleep in an indoor set up for the night hours....they will get into a routine if you are consistent...just know, if you slip up on their set routine you will know their annoyance....lol...

An outdoor yard is essential for a tortoise, in my opinion, and if you have a species that is escape prone then yes, if you dig the ground out a bit below grade and then lay some heavy duty wire panels or the like then back fill with the removed dirt then you should be good with the earth dig outs...just make sure that the wire meets up with what ever you use as a yard wall/boundary...and keep in mind that these guys are master climbers...almost the spider man of the tortoise world...;)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
If your soil is hard pack, you can build taller walls, back fill with drainage gravel then 12 inches of dirt/topsoil.
If your soil is softer, then you can trench out the perimeter 8-12" and line with concrete blocks in a row, plastic garden fencing, stapled to the base of the walls.
I did neither; I took Yvonne's suggestion and lined the inside perimeter with 18" pavers. This creates a walk way, and the obviously can't burrow through them. If you create attractive places to burrow in the center, including clumping grasses and planst like Rosemary (one of my torts' favorites to dig into), they will likely use them.
OR, you can take plastic fencing and lay it along the perimeter out 12" and up the side, stapled. Then cover with soil.

And that may be too many choices, lol, but whatever works the best in your situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.