10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Wow you have a lot of torts. I love your sign I want one. :p Candy

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Is their water dish in the lower right of the first photo actually a down spout catch? What a great idea!

What are the ediable plants you have chose? They look good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Danny: Are you able to i.d. any of the different sub species of Russian tortoise that Jen has in her picture? I'm not able to, but was thinking that I might see three different ones. I really want to learn how to i.d. them so that I can separate my guys and keep them "pure."

Yvonne

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
I like the sign!!!!!! i have a few sorta like that but that one is just too cool. your torties look so beautiful. i cant wait to let my boys out and run. we just need it to warm up here so i can let them roam.

wayne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks everyone,

Yvonne, There are 3 different subspecies in there you were right. There are 3 rustomovi females and 1 male, 2 horsfieldii females and 1 male, and then the lonely kazachstanica male. I know I spelled kakastan wrong but I was not in the mood to look it up. The 3 on the bottom are the horfieldii, the 4 on the top are rustomovi, and the small one on the upper left out from the group is the kazachstanica male (I pretty sure it is hard to tell 2 of the smaller ones apart unless they are up close for me and my bad eyes to see). There all house seperatly normally, but I put them together that day. The boys don't seem to have any interest in the girls yet. This is the site Danny and I both use to determine subspecies..http://russiantortoise.org/subspecies.htm In my opionon the rustomovi are lighter then the others and more domed, my kazachstanica is darker then the rest and he doesn't have the nodule on the vertebrae, and the horfieldii are more round when looking down at them and they are not as domed. You should post pics, then maybe we can help you identify subspecies that you have.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
bettinge said:
Is their water dish in the lower right of the first photo actually a down spout catch? What a great idea!

What are the ediable plants you have chose? They look good.

The water dish is a little pond that they sell for like $10 @ home depot or other improvement stores.

Plants: geraniums, holyhock, grapevines, the rest are seeds that I planted, although the russian pen has not really sprouted this year, the baby DT pen is all seeds and it is completly covered in plants now. I planted grass (timothy & wheat), russian blend, desert tort blend, weedy flower blend, crimson clover, desert dandelion, and california poppy(didn't come up though), I also have hibiscus around the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.