More of Tom's Job Stuff

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Love it....just love it and the dog too! Thanks for the long version.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sibi said:

We always shoot so much footage, but little of it ever gets seen. I was happy with the 30 second spot, but a little disappointed that so much of our good footage didn't make it into the commercial. This spot showcases what we did much better.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
So, the big question Tom is whether or not your do is actually on the Pro Plan diet, or is this false advertising? :p

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, if you have any longer versions that don't get seen on commercials, I believe many here, including myself, would love to see it here:)
Tom said:
sibi said:

We always shoot so much footage, but little of it ever gets seen. I was happy with the 30 second spot, but a little disappointed that so much of our good footage didn't make it into the commercial. This spot showcases what we did much better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal said:
So, the big question Tom is whether or not your do is actually on the Pro Plan diet, or is this false advertising? :p

Actually I do feed ProPlan. The dog in the spot was raised on ProPlan. His mother and father were also raised on ProPlan too. The father is one of the dogs from "D'Jango Unchained". He's 12 years old and is actually on another job today. Still going strong. You met Bullet. I had his bag of ProPlan in the van the day you met him.

Our German wire haired pointer that was in the other spot is also fed ProPlan.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Oh my goodness! I knew you we're a dog trainer but geez! I thought like obedience trainer type... you know- the people who do $10 classed at petco. You make commercials with your doggies?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tffnytorts said:
Oh my goodness! I knew you we're a dog trainer but geez! I thought like obedience trainer type... you know- the people who do $10 classed at petco. You make commercials with your doggies?

I make commercials with all animals. This week its bears. Next week its rats and dogs. Last week it was goats, chickens and dogs.

Movies and TV too...

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hey Tom, any advice for this beast? He's my fourpawbaby who has a bit of a jumping issue I can't seem to beat.
He likes to jump on anyone or anything new.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383402560.739816.jpg
Otherwise he's very well behaved. Sit, lay down, off, leave it, bring it, come. All good, stay down not sinking in!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The easiest explanation is this: If a behavior is followed by positive consequences, it is likely to occur again. If a behavior is followed by negative consequences, it is likely to not occur again.

With all of the variables involved, YOU must figure out how to make that behavior receive a not positive and/or negative consequence. Every dog and situation is different. Its unwise to make specific recommendations without a lot more info.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Fair enough and appreciate it. I was sort of trying to just be funny - oops, didn't work.
Obvious you are good at what you know as not knowing the circumstances of the dogs sitch you didn't give a recommendation. Much respect!
Hope you will continue to share your videos. They are very cool

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Tom said:
The easiest explanation is this: If a behavior is followed by positive consequences, it is likely to occur again. If a behavior is followed by negative consequences, it is likely to not occur again.

With all of the variables involved, YOU must figure out how to make that behavior receive a not positive and/or negative consequence. Every dog and situation is different. Its unwise to make specific recommendations without a lot more info.

Well said Tom. Very well said. I do A LOT of behavioral consult at work. It's not easy with just a brief history. Yes, there are generalized techniques for known common behavior issues, but as Tom said, every dog, household, human is different. There is no cookie cutter method.
If you want, PM me and I can point you in the right direction. And here is Sandy's animal behavior soapbox speech....there are no bad dogs! We has humans made our dogs what they are. We often inadvertently reward bad behavior and condition an unwanted behavior. Now we the humans are frustrated with dog...and even punish him...and it's our fault he is the way he is!
That was generalize, not directed at anyone. I'm guilty of it myself. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Stepping down.

[GROWING HEART]

ulkal

5 Year Member
Really cool video.
I never was into dogs until I involuntarily got one and, after some troubles, really enjoy training her now. Its fascinating how rich and nuanced their communication is, and how they respond.

Impressive that you can communicate and work with dogs on such a high level.
Please show more of your work from time to time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcata_Sandy said:
....there are no bad dogs! We has humans made our dogs what they are. We often inadvertently reward bad behavior and condition an unwanted behavior. Now we the humans are frustrated with dog...and even punish him...and it's our fault he is the way he is!

You know there are exceptions to this, right? I've met a few true baddies that didn't have a reason to be bad...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, there are exceptions for sure. Have you ever seen a 8 week old puppy that would try to take your hand off? Years ago a friend had a litter of Chow Chows. 4 pups. Three, normal, one OMG, I have never seen such a mean dog, let alone a pup. Even younger then 8wks it was terrible, but more in its sleep. Nightmares of him growling, but like an adult and would wake up and come at you if you were right there. At 8 weeks, literally a terror. Between me and another dog trainer, we tried for four weeks to get something nice out of this pup. The owner told us she gave it to someone for a guard dog. I'm not really sure if she did, or if she had it put down.
That was one mean dog that we (trainers) recommended putting down. One thing I would never normally recommend. Yes, there are exceptions in dogs, same as there are exceptions in some people, that they should just be put down.:)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Tom said:
Sulcata_Sandy said:
....there are no bad dogs! We has humans made our dogs what they are. We often inadvertently reward bad behavior and condition an unwanted behavior. Now we the humans are frustrated with dog...and even punish him...and it's our fault he is the way he is!

You know there are exceptions to this, right? I've met a few true baddies that didn't have a reason to be bad...

OMG don't we know it! But I do try to give them the benefit of a doubt. Bad breeding???? Blame the human!!! There! Hahahahah

Sorry, tired and punchy. And Ken is no fun today. I build baby Franklin his new mansion, it's stacked on the one he made.

wellington said:
...same as there are exceptions in some people, that they should just be put down.:)

OMG, don't get me started! Speaking of "some people should be put down"...one of my receptionists quit, I have to help out because one of my techs is part time, the other...well....let's just say I don't want her up front.
I hate working reception! Leave me in the back!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I loved the mini version, but this extended version is more to love. Jolly good work Tom and Seven!
(Why is Seven's name Seven? Love his name, just wondering.).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He was the seventh and final pup born. My wife looked at him and said, "If we keep this one his name is Seven." I, of course, said, "Okay."

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I KNEW IT! So many show dogs have names like that.

With my litters, I don't do themes, I don't name any of them, when I figure out which pup goes to which owner I've had a reservation for, I then start calling them whatever the family has chosen. Otherwise, they brief names based on description...the big flashy tri I ended up keeping we called "Flashy"....now he's "Dexter", after the Showtime series...and his registered name reflects that.

I love the naming game. How did Bullet get his?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Dang, I was unable to get the original vids you posted to play on my phone ( said private). And I kept forgetting to check on my computer. Just finally got to see the extended version which played fine.
I am left wondering if you had anything to do with the 'I could be great' Purina commercial. I watch a lot of animal oriented programing all day at my grooming shop and I see this one a lot. EVERY SINGLE TIME, I stop what I'm doing, watch, and tear up. What a sap! LOL
Having no children, and spending a lifetime with animals as a professional and hobbyist, it just gets to me. Probably because, although I haven't made movies and such, all of my dogs came to me with hopes and dreams. I worked with them, doing what they were bred to do and LOVE to do, and sometimes more than they bargained for. They give 100 % and more.

I invite everyone here to 'like' my FB page for my shop. I have my albums and you can see all my 'small friends.' :)

https://www.facebook.com/SmallFriendsGroomRoom

Anyway, here is what I think of the world
(Gift from a customer who knows me too well):

Attachments

• 1383578740862.jpg
    1383578740862.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 45