Moss around water bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, NC
I read under the encloser section about putting moss around the water bowl to help keep it clean. Sounds like a great idea. Is the moss toxic to the tortoise if it eats it? Also will the tortoise just keep eatin it like it was food? Has anyone tried it with a Sulcata? The person only suggested it and had not tried it thats why I am posting the question here. Thanks in advance for any input you can share on this.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I actually purchased moss for around Emrys' water bowl after reading here that it would be a good idea. Emrys has never tried to eat the moss, but he's ALWAYS kicking it into his bowl and it soaks up his water pretty quickly. When I surround his bowl in soil, it actually stays pretty clean.

I'm changing his enclosure around a bit tomorrow, and won't be putting the moss in again. I think it's worth experimenting with, but it really hasn't worked for me.

B

byerssusan

cknfrmr said:
I read under the encloser section about putting moss around the water bowl to help keep it clean. Sounds like a great idea. Is the moss toxic to the tortoise if it eats it? Also will the tortoise just keep eatin it like it was food? Has anyone tried it with a Sulcata? The person only suggested it and had not tried it thats why I am posting the question here. Thanks in advance for any input you can share on this.

I don't know about the moss..I made Phoenix's water bowl myself and she doesn't get dirt into it at all. I think I should have made the sides a little wider though. She seems to love it. Heres ap pic of it

Attachments

• 102_4507.JPG
    102_4507.JPG
    613.6 KB · Views: 20

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I use sphagnum moss around my water dish. I've never seen them eat it,but if they did,it's non-toxic.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Kernersville, NC
Thanks for imput. I think im going to find some growing in the woods and try it. Sounds like it wont hurt. Thanks again.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I love moss around the water dish. I have it in all the indoor enclosures and no one has ever tried to eat it.
Awww...baby Pio.
Scan0009-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.