Moved off the road

escurnow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Texas
Just curious what kind it is... is it a Red eared slider? It was much bigger than I thought they got!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Picture isn't showing up for me, did you forget it?

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
I guess i didn't give it time to upload before I hit post, sorry! Here are the pics, firmly attached! :)

IMG_20160222_144258187-2.jpg IMG_20160222_144311251.jpg IMG_20160222_144258187.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
Okay last two pics... just curious of what it was. Thanks for letting me know they get big! I had no idea... This one had clearly had some hard knocks, but seemed ready to get on with his life after I got him across the road.

IMG_20160222_185125.jpg IMG_20160222_144315798.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Without seeing any head and neck markings or carapace markings it's hard to tell. Does not look like a red ear though. Probably a cooter from the general shape Possible a red bellied slider but the carapace does not appear domed enough for that. Pretty sure cooter of some type. Where was it? That will help

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Hey Escurnow,

Did you find that turtle in South Texas? I'm betting that's a Texas River Cooter, either a Rio Grande type or the Guadalupe variety, but given the orange coloration, I'm betting Rio Grande. Those Texas cooters get very big, and that one has some years on it. Definitely not a red ear. The lines on the lower mandible are far too gracile for that, which tend to be more robust on most sliders, paints and maps. Also, you can make out some serration on the lower mandible, something that is generally found in cooters to help with their mostly herbivorous diet (sliders tend to be more generalists with their dietary preferences; part of what has ensured their success as an invasive species). Strange find this time of year, but here in South Texas, we've been having some warm days (I would use the word unusual, but hey, it's South Texas; it could be December and seventy eight out, given that our default weather here seems to be "warm"). But yeah, best to get that beastie to a nearby pond or creek. Ones that old from out in the country don't tend to make the best captives unless you've got a large, well planted pond with lots of privacy.

T.G.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
You guys are amazing sleuths! I AM in south Texas, about 1/2 an hour south of San Antonio. He/she was easily about as big as a typical sized laptop. He was shy, so wouldn't give me the opportunity to take a close up of his head and neck. ;-) I can tell you before I snagged him out of traffic he put his neck out and I was literally shocked at how long his neck was! Anyway.... I got him off the road and sent him on his way, but I just hadn't seen one like that before so was curious. Thanks for all the input!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You guys are amazing sleuths! I AM in south Texas, about 1/2 an hour south of San Antonio. He/she was easily about as big as a typical sized laptop. He was shy, so wouldn't give me the opportunity to take a close up of his head and neck. ;-) I can tell you before I snagged him out of traffic he put his neck out and I was literally shocked at how long his neck was! Anyway.... I got him off the road and sent him on his way, but I just hadn't seen one like that before so was curious. Thanks for all the input!
It is a SHE! Can tell that for sure.

Berkeley

It is definitely a slider. I'm betting on red ear.

And Mark is right, it is female too.

--Berkeley

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It is definitely a slider. I'm betting on red ear.

And Mark is right, it is female too.

--Berkeley
Sorry Berkeley. It's a cooter. No way a slider! Too much of a shoulder hump. Would be a record breaking huge slider yet a normal size cooter female Reticulated pattern on under edge of carapace not round blotches. Stripe pattern on forelimbs with slightly branched thicker stripe present. Orange stripes on forelimbs. 95% sure Rio Grand Cooter. Outside chance red bellied.

Berkeley

Mark-
we may have to agree to disagree on this one!

Those are exactly the reasons why I have to disagree and say that it is a slider. The cooters have the round blotches/ocelli under the marginals. Slider patterns break up and become reticulated like that shown in the pics above. Redears have that same thicker yellow stripe on the forelegs. The orange coloration is because of the extreme mineral staining that has also happened all over the rest of the shell and body. But the striping of the facial pattern is completely different, and there is no serration of the lower jaw evident. Also the serrations on the rear marginal scutes are still pronounced, whereas in an adult cooter they would be more smoothed out and contiguous.

Here are a couple of pictures that I stole off the internet, illustrating some of what I mean. These are all images of Pseudemys gorzugi, the Rio Grande cooter. (Credit, and my apologies, goes to the photographers)

Note the smoothness and rounded-ness of the rear marginals, and these animals are quite fully sized.
PseudemysgorzugiSL1.jpg

And the rounded ocelli on the marginals here
PseudemysgorzugiSL3.jpg

Facial striping and eye color are all different. And yes the mouth is slightly open in this photo, but the serration of the lower jaw would still be able to be seen when the mouth is closed.
gorzugi head.jpg

--Berkeley

Reactions: Rue