moving day is nearing

jfales

5 Year Member
Hello Sulcata experts and enthusiasts! The time is nearing for transporting my Mac from New Mexico to Tucson. I have received from folks on this forum and sulcata-station advice on transport (as well as enclosures, food, and housing). I have a few remaining questions about the transport. (He is over 100 pounds and his SCL is approximately 20 inches.)

The trip is approximately 9.5 hours. How tightly should Mac be confined? Should the carrier/tub/box be twice his size? Should he be able to turn around? Should he be surrounded by hay? He currently is housed in a 10'X10'X8'tall shed. How warm must he be kept? I was planning on having his pig blanket under him for warmth - does this mean I should have space for him to move off from it? Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Janine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I prefer to transport my biggun's in large heavy duty cement mixing tubs. You can put some grass hay under them to absorb messes. But bring a hose and lots of fresh hay for a few wash outs along the way.

Anywhere from 70-80 will be fine for the trip there. Will he be in a closed vehicle? If so the temps should be easy to manage.

jfales

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I prefer to transport my biggun's in large heavy duty cement mixing tubs. You can put some grass hay under them to absorb messes. But bring a hose and lots of fresh hay for a few wash outs along the way.

Anywhere from 70-80 will be fine for the trip there. Will he be in a closed vehicle? If so the temps should be easy to manage.

jfales

5 Year Member
Tom said:

Hi, Tom,
I looked at cement mixing tubs/horse troughs today. I plan on taking the hay he is eating here with me anyway, so that won't be a problem. Do rest areas have water? I had not thought about a hose.

I have a couple of options - the back of an closed pickup truck or in an SUV. I'm not sure he can move much in the cement tubs (36"x24"X8") or the trough (40"x27"X13"). Should he be able to walk around some?
Janine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like them in large enclosures where they can move around. If you hit the brakes its just farther for them to slide and impact.

I'd go with the SUV for better temperature control.

jfales

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I don't like them in large enclosures where they can move around. If you hit the brakes its just farther for them to slide and impact.

I'd go with the SUV for better temperature control.

Many thanks! I thought the SUV would be better but cannot have him tearing up the inside (it is a loaner); hence, the cement mixing box (and the hose!).

jfales

5 Year Member
Should I soak Mac before he goes, when he gets to Arizona or wait a few days after he gets to Arizona? I don't know when the last time he had a good soak was. His current water dish is too small for a soak.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Soaking will encourage a bowl movement. At the same time though, he will take on water for a lovely dump while you travel. I'd opt to soak two days before the move, then a soak when you get there and he can roam normal like.

jfales

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Soaking will encourage a bowl movement. At the same time though, he will take on water for a lovely dump while you travel. I'd opt to soak two days before the move, then a soak when you get there and he can roam normal like.

Thank you kind sir. Mac moves his bowels pretty much every day now as it is. I will give his a nice soak before we go and when he gets there, as suggested!

We are already prepared for the aroma of tortoise on the trip down.
:)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Just as a cover, point out all the farms you are passing. LOL

And have the stereo up loud enough to cover the audio.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Janine welcome to AZ . Sorry you choose Tucson and not PHX but at least it's AZ . Good luck with your move and have a great tort day :)

jfales

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:

Thanks for the advice! LOL
:D

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Janine welcome to AZ . Sorry you choose Tucson and not PHX but at least it's AZ . Good luck with your move and have a great tort day :)

Thank you much! :D

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Have a safe trip. I am sure it will be more stressful for you than for Mac. Hope to meet you in Tucson. Call if you need anything!

jfales

5 Year Member
jfales said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

Thanks for the advice! LOL
:D

Hum. What sounds are distress sounds? I have heard him hiss but none other. I have read on this forum that duck sound are happy sounds. What sounds should make me pull over and take a look at Mac? :(

parrotlady said:
Have a safe trip. I am sure it will be more stressful for you than for Mac. Hope to meet you in Tucson. Call if you need anything!

Thank you so much! :)

jfales

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:

Hi, Cowboy Ken! What kind of sounds would you anticipate? Are there stress noises? Are you thinking of the noise made when trying to escape his enclosure?

I gave him his first soak today- he did not like it. The sides were only 8" and so I ended up holding him in the tub (well, corralling him in the tub). At first he was okay and eating his bok choy bribe. Then he tried to get out. I kept him in 3" of 80 deg F water for approximately 20 minutes. He calmed down and began eating again before we lifted him out.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Janine

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: moving day is nearing

jfales said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

Hi, Cowboy Ken! What kind of sounds would you anticipate? Are there stress noises? Are you thinking of the noise made when trying to escape his enclosure?

I gave him his first soak today- he did not like it. The sides were only 8" and so I ended up holding him in the tub (well, corralling him in the tub). At first he was okay and eating his bok choy bribe. Then he tried to get out. I kept him in 3" of 80 deg F water for approximately 20 minutes. He calmed down and began eating again before we lifted him out.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Janine

Ken was just poking fun. I believe he was referring to noises coming from Mr. Tortoise's rear end. Tortoises are known to empty their bowels when in the car.

jfales

5 Year Member
Thanks, Tiffany. I am concerned that he will be stressed with the confinement, given his stress with the soak. I'm not too worried about the smell, just the stress.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Afterwards, it may take a few days for him to go back to his normal behavior, but he will be just fine.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yup. The sounds a large tortoise makes while voiding the bowels.

I can't believe I posted that without a thought, dinner plate in hand, then went right back to eating. My grandmother Bouvier would be so not pleased.