New tortoise aunt - moving sulcata to Arizona

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Those rollers are pricey, yes but it sure is a pretty cool idea. Thanks for sharing the link ascott!

BUT a chain link fence won't contain Mac.. so it don't think they are applicable in this situation.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The rollers can be used on a variety of fencing material, wood, concrete and others...if you can mount the bracket the roller can be mounted as well....:D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The fence will not work but the idea is great because you can put up a block wall with large hocks every 8 feet and run cable through the hocks and thread 4inch PVC pipeon the cable so the pipe will spin on the cable . That should work the same

jfales

5 Year Member
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Janine I'm from Phx , AZ I see a couple of problems one if you put up a fence and the tort can see through it he may hurt him self trieing to get to the other side of it ! And if you put up a brick wall that's 6-8 feet tall a coyote can jump it ! And I live in the city and 3yrs ago we had a family of raccoons moved in for just one night and they killed about 5-7 of my baby torts . I think if I was in your place I would keep the old tort and let my sister get her oun from CL . Because I would want the family problems if something happened to the old tort ( you would be sick ) but you do what you think is best . Good luck

So, I was thinking about either a reinforced coyote fence or chain link w/ sight blocking (boards at the bottom >2 feet) and coyote proofing at the top. Coyote fencing is 'more attractive' if it can be reinforced sufficiently. Maybe block for the bottom 2-3 feet inside the coyote fence.

I am getting nervous about the move... we want Mac to be happy and safe and it is time to start building.

Thank you for your input!

Thank you all for your input on the possible move of Mac to Arizona. I truly appreciate your expertise, experience, and love of reptiles! I have another question about burrows. In your experience, will a sulcata use a manmade burrow or will he want to make his own? I appreciate the need for a cool spot in the Arizona heat. I don't think an adobe house will work for him (maybe, I haven't looked into it). Of course the humidity is low, which gives a good 10-20 deg F drop in temperature in solid shade - at least based on experience in New Mexico. If we built a burrow, we could choose the place rather than having him decide that the fence line is the best place.

Many thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can start it, and allow him to finish it. Be sure it is on the high side so rain water runs away from the burrow.

jfales

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
You can start it, and allow him to finish it. Be sure it is on the high side so rain water runs away from the burrow.

Thank you for your response!
Janine