Moving tortoise to basement

Titan24

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
So my tortoise Titan has been in my upstairs room for years. However I want to build a bigger enclosure for him and move him into the basement. I’m kind of scared to do this however because I’ve heard horror stories of owners moving their pets into their basements and then those pets tragically passing for whatever reason…my basement is renovated and nice, I live it in myself- sometimes have dealt with small flooding but nothing crazy & my tortoise enclosure would be raised of course.

Any tips , suggestions, or things to look out for in regards to tortoises living in basements?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Ventilation, UV light and heat would be a priority. They do like night and day so if there is a window that would be beneficial.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never heard of any problems moving them to the basement. I had some live in my basement and it's just a basement.
Be careful with windows, if the sun shines thru them, they could over heat the enclosure.
Just set it up properly, with lights and heat and its the same as being in your room.

Titan24

NJ
Ventilation, UV light and heat would be a priority. They do like night and day so if there is a window that would be beneficial.
I don’t believe my basement has the best ventilation, do you think an air purifier could help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don’t believe my basement has the best ventilation, do you think an air purifier could help?
Certainly wouldn't hurt.

What size and age tortoise are we talking about?

The main issue is likely to be temperature control. Tortoises need it warm. Some species more than others.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Day and night cycle can also be achieved with the right LED lights to give ambient lighting on a schedule (I have mine 12 hours on and 12 off to make sure my tort has a day and night cycle here in Finland where you can't really rely on the light from your window).