Moving!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

We just rented a house with a very large back yard. I am so excited! :) We will be moving in April. I am already starting to plan enclosures for everyone. I am building three enclosures; one for the Russian, one for the hingeback, and one for the redfoots. I have some very basic ideas so far so any suggestions or ideas are very welcome. :)

These pictures only show about a two thirds of the yard.
DSC01726.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
ALDABRAMAN said:
Beautiful, remember that oak tree contains tannin.

Tannin? could you elaborate on what it is and what it does..... please

S

Scooter

Yes, please elaborate on the tannin. I know it is something in the wood that can seep out and causes bleeding/discoloration on cut wood, but what/how does this effect the torts?

Right now I am planning on using 2x6s or 2x8, though my heart is not set on this, I'm still working it all out.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Congrats! Just look at all that space! Oh the possibilities!! So you said you had some basic thoughts already, what are they?

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
This is from a previous thread about the issue of oak trees

UCD VET VIEWS
CALIFORNIA CATTLEMAN, JANUARY 2001
OAK TOXICITY

Recently, I have had a number of questions regarding the toxicity of oak trees (leaves and buds) or acorns for cattle. Most of our cattle in California spend at least part of the year in areas where oak trees abound. Health problems due to ingestion of oak leaves or acorns are certainly not an everyday problem; however, when problems do occur they can be catastrophic. Several years ago, in a few northern California counties, about 2,700 cattle died due to oak toxicity.

Do all oak trees contain the toxins? There are more than 50 common species of oak trees in California and all contain some level of the chemicals that can cause problems in cattle. The buds, young leaves and fresh acorns have the highest level of toxins. There is considerable variation in the concentration of toxins in the plant tissues and is dependent on (1) the species of oak trees, (2) the season of the year, (3) the year in question, depending on climatic conditions. The chemical toxins in question are tannins and phenols, which are naturally contained in the plant material, but vary in concentration based on the variables listed above.

How do the toxins affect cattle? The oak toxins (tannins and phenols) attack the proteins they contact. Thus, the gastrointestinal tract (mouth, esophagus, rumen, and intestines) is damaged by direct contact. This results in ulcers, bleeding, and perforation in some cases. So if the cattle survive long enough, bloody diarrhea or dark diarrhea is seen. Also, in the rumen, some of the tannins are converted to other chemicals (gallic acid and pyrogallols) that are absorbed into the blood stream, travel to the kidneys where they cause severe damage to the kidneys. This damage to the kidneys results in renal failure, which can cause death in many cases. The younger cattle (less than 400 pounds) are usually more severely affected than older cattle.

What do the affected cattle look like? Symptoms usually appear shortly after cattle eat 50% or more of their diet as oak (leaves, buds, acorns). Some animals may simply be found dead. Others may appear weak and listless, without an appetite. A day or two after eating the oak leaves or buds, bloody or dark diarrhea may be noticed. As kidney failure progresses, fluid may accumulate around the anus or vulva. Throughout, the cattle appear weak, listless, and have no appetite.

What are the most important risk factors that can lead to oak toxicity? The presence of large numbers of acorns when forage is scarce is one of the main risks. Wind, hail, or snowstorms can cause large number of acorns or limbs from oak trees to drop so that cattle can gain easy access. California outbreaks have been worse in the late winter and early spring when oak buds and small leaves are present in large numbers and a wet snowstorm occurs. The wet snow breaks branches and limbs and the snow also covers the available grass and leaves the cattle very hungry. This leads to consumption of these very toxic buds and leaves because it is the only feed available.

What is the acorn calf syndrome? The acorn calf syndrome is completely different from the typical oak toxicity problems seen in cattle. Acorn calves are congenitally malformed calves born to cows that have ingested large numbers of acorns under very poor forage conditions during the second trimester of pregnancy (3-7 months of pregnancy). The cause appears to be a combination of poor nutrition and exposure to acorns. The calves have very short legs, abnormal hooves, and misshapen heads (either short noses or long narrow heads). These calves look like dwarves in most instances. Occasionally, more than 10% of the calves in a herd will be acorn calves.

How can these problems be prevented? Oak toxicity can be prevented by supplementing the cattle with hay when forage conditions are poor and acorns are abundant. Likewise, when late snowstorms cover the forage and knock down oak limbs with large amounts of buds and young leaves, be sure to start hay supplementation immediately. A delay of only a day or two could result in many deaths. Prevention of acorn calves is also a matter of being sure adequate forage is available or supplementing with hay or other forage when running the cattle in oak areas.

John Maas, DVM, MS
Diplomate, ACVN & ACVIM
Extension Veterinarian
School of Veterinary Medicine
University of California, Davis

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-oak-trees#axzz1FOTpjKtS

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What a great yard. The possibilities are endless. I like to use slumpstone blocks for this. They are easily moved and will allow you to make the numerous changes that will surely come up. You'd only need to go two blocks high for all of your except Thor when he gets bigger.

S

Scooter

Jacqui and Tom, I have thought about both the blocks and using planks of wood, though I am undecided yet which would be better. I am leaning toward the planks as I think those would be easier for us to do. I am still playing with numbers as far as size for each enclosure also. I am also trying to start a list of the plants that I want to put inside the enclosures.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
LOVE the backyard!! I would die if I had that backyard (for both my pups AND tort!)
I hope you post pictures of your progress on their outdoor enclosures! I need to work on my Russian's outdoor enclosure. I'm thinking of using slump stone blocks.

S

Scooter

Tom and Katie, by slump stones, I am assuming you mean cinder blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.