Mud Bath Making

BearDrummer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseburg,OR, USA
My son just received an early birthday present of two Clown Faced Red Foot Tortoises. He wants to let them have a mud bath.

My current idea is to get a paint tray, fill it with mud, and then let them slop around in it until they try to climb out, rinse them off and then either let them continue their walk on the floor or put them back in their tank.

My questions are these:

Is there a better way to make an easy mud bath?

What should we use to make the mud?

We are new to all this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

They do not need a mud bath. I would save that for out in the yard during the warmer months of the year.

The floor is not a good place for your tortoises. They should be in their enclosure with the correct temps and humidity, and without all the hazards on the floor.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I have never heard of a clown faced redfooted tortoise. I have heard of redfoot tortoises though but maybe clown face is just a"nickname" or applies to ones from a specific region like cherry head. Anyway, I have never heard of giving mud baths. Just soaking in warm water for about 15 minutes. What size are they? Can you post pictures of your enclosure so that we can give you some pointers?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bear Drummer:

Welcome to the Forum!

Please go to the Tortoise Library and read about caring for the redfooted tortoise.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would not have a mud bath in doors . I have three red footed tortoises . In the summer I will flood one side of there enclosure and they will make there own mud bath . But you have to let them dry off so they don't get shell rot . If they are babies a warm soak daily is all thats needed .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably because I said I couldn't find it. Always thinking about good old Yvonne, huh 5643? Thanks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program:

Bear Drummer:

The term "clown face" is a nick name originally used to depict RF tortoises that came from a certain geographical area in South America. Lately the nick name has been mis-used to include any RF with certain markings on its face. There really is no such tortoise.

But enjoy your RF tortoise, and when you become familiarized with our format here I'd love to see pictures of your new little tortoise.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-83676.html

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Mud Bath Making

Yes Yvonne is correct thats why I brought it back up

Swagizard

5 Year Member
Roseburg, OR, USA
BearDrummer is my dad. We live in an apartment so we cant have them outside. Squirtle still has an egg tooth.

2013-11-30_tortoises (12).jpgThis is me.

2013-11-30_tortoises (09).jpgThis is Charmeleon (big) and Squirtle (little).

2013-11-30_tortoises (13).jpgThis is their tank. Squirtle is behind the pool on the moss. Charmeleon is next to the squash and red lettuce.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think they like their mud bath.

I bet if you tossed out the green carpet and gave them a dirt like substrate in their tank, they'd like that a lot more, too ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, ok...after seeing your pictures I now understand why you wanted a mud bath for the tortoises.

Redfooted tortoises need to have a moist substrate. Living on that green indoor/outdoor carpeting isn't good for them. So buy some substrate. I like orchid bark or cypress mulch. You can keep it moist (not wet) and it doesn't get sour or moldy. This is much more natural for them than a dry piece of old carpeting. Plus, the moisture helps their shells to grow smoothly.

Please read the info in the Tortoise Library Setting you new tortoises up properly will insure that they will be with you for a very long time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And those water bowls are not suitable for tortoises. They can flip and drown in them. A $2 terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate will work better and be safer.

BearDrummer

5 Year Member
Roseburg,OR, USA
Yvonne G said:
Oh, ok...after seeing your pictures I now understand why you wanted a mud bath for the tortoises.

Redfooted tortoises need to have a moist substrate. Living on that green indoor/outdoor carpeting isn't good for them. So buy some substrate. I like orchid bark or cypress mulch. You can keep it moist (not wet) and it doesn't get sour or moldy. This is much more natural for them than a dry piece of old carpeting. Plus, the moisture helps their shells to grow smoothly.

Please read the info in the Tortoise Library Setting you new tortoises up properly will insure that they will be with you for a very long time.
The Zilla aquarium liner is supposed to hold some moisture, and I know from our small bit of experience that it makes cleaning the tank much easier. As far as substrate goes, I have been told that coniferous woods have a substance that is toxic to reptiles in its sap. Wouldn't that make cypress dangerous?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The type of cypress that the mulch comes from isn't harmful to your tortoise, in fact is widely used as a substrate for tortoises.

If you use cypress mulch, or orchid bark or another popular one, Bed-A-Beast (coconut coir), all you have to do is spot clean occasionally. It isn't hard to keep the habitat clean at all.

BearDrummer

5 Year Member
Roseburg,OR, USA
Yvonne G said:
The type of cypress that the mulch comes from isn't harmful to your tortoise, in fact is widely used as a substrate for tortoises.

If you use cypress mulch, or orchid bark or another popular one, Bed-A-Beast (coconut coir), all you have to do is spot clean occasionally. It isn't hard to keep the habitat clean at all.

There is coconut coir mixed in with the moss around the pool... I think we can do that.